RHV-MYF-RHV in one day...

Old June 24th 05, 08:03 AM
Hilton

Default RHV-MYF-RHV in one day...

Hi,

I'm planning on flying from RHV (San Jose) to MYF (San Diego) on Monday
morning and returning that afternoon. I'll be taking the Arrow (200hp) or
182. I've flown down to AVX, SMO, etc several times and am familiar with
that route. I'd like to take the most direct (and safest) route to MYF
(i.e. no sight seeing required on this flight). We're not planning on
stopping (unless we really really can't resist 3O8). Any 'local' knowledge,
recommendations?

Many thanks,

Hilton

Old June 24th 05, 05:11 PM
RST Engineering

11.5 going down, 10.5 coming home puts you over the top of the LAX Bravo, no
vectoring or VFR corridor required.

Me? I'd get out into the Central Valley as soon as I could (probably over
Livermore) and take a straight shot at Gorman. Then a straight shot for LGB
and begin your descent. Then coastline until you clear the restricted area
by Camp Pendleton and hang a left direct MYF.

Be CAUTIOUS of MCAS Miramar. The airport layout is similar to MYF -- a set
of parallel E-W runways with a single crosswind runway. San Diego approach
has some of the nicest controllers I've ever had to deal with.

If you like Mexican food, Casa Machado on the field at MYF is very good. If
your bird drinks 80 octane, you can still get it at Gillespie field about
ten minutes to the east.

Jim

ink.net...

Old June 24th 05, 05:35 PM
RST Engineering

Should have picked up the WAC before I routed you over Livermore. Probably
Morgan Hill, San Luis, Gorman direct. Thence...

Jim

Old June 24th 05, 07:10 PM
Orval Fairbairn

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

I'm planning on flying from RHV (San Jose) to MYF (San Diego) on Monday
morning and returning that afternoon. I'll be taking the Arrow (200hp) or
182. I've flown down to AVX, SMO, etc several times and am familiar with
that route. I'd like to take the most direct (and safest) route to MYF
(i.e. no sight seeing required on this flight). We're not planning on
stopping (unless we really really can't resist 3O8). Any 'local'
knowledge,
recommendations?

I always used the direct route -- the hills between RHV and the
Grapevine aren't all that difficult -- especially above 4500 ft. I would
not go all the way up to Livermore and across -- that just wastes time.

In the direct route, you go past Gilroy, Frazier lake, Hollister, etc.,
which is mostly valley flying.

Old June 25th 05, 01:56 AM
Brenor Brophy

I made that same flight as an Angel Flight just 3 weeks ago.

I flew IFR - and needed it because there was a solid marine layer over all
of Southern California.

I actually picked up my passenger at Watsonville (KWVI) and the route I
filed was as follows: (This will make more sense if you have a Low Enroute
Chart to look at)

SNS.V25.VTU.V27.MZB.V66.BARET

I know the V66 to BARET leg looks weird - but that is what it takes to get
to the Initial Approach Fix for the ILS approach into MYF. I file it so ATC
knows where I'm going to go if I lose my radios.

Actually, just after San Marcus VOR (RZS) we were cleared direct SXC (Santa
Calalina). This actually took us a loooong way out to sea and in hindsight I
would have picked a route closer to land. Not long after SXC we started
getting vectors that brought us in on the north side of MYF for an ILS
approach.

Next time I will file
VINCO.V107.PXN.V113.ROM.V485.VTU.V299.LAX.V23.MZB. V66.BARET

If you are flying IFR out of RHV going south then VINCO.V107 is what you
will almost always get (no matter what you file)

On the way back we got a lot of re-routes from ATC. One very nice lady
working the departure from San Diego suggested that I should have filed the
following route to avoid all the trouble:

MZB.V23.LAX.V299.VTU.V485.GILRO

I would rather fly IFR rather than deal with all the complex airspace around
So Cal. The other way is fly above 10,000 over LA and be careful on the
approach into MYF.

Lastly, I try to fly high, 8000 is uaually the minimm altitude I'll file for
and typically I try to be at 10, 000 or 11,000. The highest MEA on the route
I suggested is 9000 (around FLW VOR). This is in a C182.

We left at WVI at 4pm, had dinner in MYF (the Mexican food in the terminal
restaurant is good) and landed back in RHV just before midnight. I brought a
very capable co-pilot with me to keep me awake and share the load - a very
good idea on a long flight like this.

-Brenor
N182AK

Old June 25th 05, 10:18 PM
Hilton

Hi,

A big thank you to everyone for their VFR and IFR suggestions. I really
appreciate it. I just bought a new set of sectionals and TACs and will
spend several hours reviewing them (as well as the IFR stuff) and planning
the flight based on the information from you guys - thanks again!

Hilton

Old June 28th 05, 08:30 AM
Hilton

Jim wrote:

[...]

Excellent reply. We did the flight today in an Arrow (Monday). Took off
from RHV (IFR to VFR on top) pretty much direct Gorman VOR (GMN). Started
at 5500 ended at 9500 over GMN. Then to VNY and the Hollywood Park
Transition. There was stratus in the LA area and we picked up our pre-filed
IFR near Oceanside VOR (same as the Camp Pendleton + left run you
mentioned), ended seeing the airport(s), took the visual, and landed at the
correct airport. All in all it was amazing that, considering the
mountains/airspace etc, it was essentially a perfectly straight flight, very
little 'dog-legging'. We had lunch at Casa Machado - good food! After the
business part of the trip was complete, we pretty much did the reverse route
coming back.

Surprisingly, our GS was about 120 going there and 145 coming home - I had
the leg coming home. A lot of flying, but an excellent flight. The
Arrow purred the whole way, but as we got closer and closer to Harris Ranch,
the Arrow kept wanting to bank to the right - strange... As my friend put
it, we tried to put it down in Harris Ranch, but overshot that runway by
100.1 nm.

Thanks again for all the posts and information.

Hilton

Old June 29th 05, 08:08 AM
G. Sylvester

How many on the Hobb's did that take you in the Arrow?

Gerald
Old June 29th 05, 07:15 PM
Hilton

Gerald wrote:
How many on the Hobb's did that take you in the Arrow?

My friend flew there - 3.4, I flew home 2.8.

However:
1. He very kindly taxiied to the fuel pumps the night before to her up, so
subtract 0.1-0.2 from the 3.4.
2. I took the return flight because I assumed that I would have the
headwinds and I didn't mind flying a bit more - turns out I had the
tailwinds.

Hilton