Does this look familiar?

Old September 8th 04, 02:44 AM
C J Campbell

Default Does this look familiar?

The RC model B-52 that was the subject of a popular video circulating around
the Internet recently has crashed. :-( It looks like the pilot stalled it in
a steep turn, rather like the terrible crash at Fairchild. A real shame;
someone had put a lot of work into this airplane.

http://www.teambanana.co.uk/b52crash2.wmv

--
Christopher J. Campbell
World Famous Flight Instructor

If you go around beating the Bush, don't complain if you rile the animals.

Old September 8th 04, 04:29 AM
Jay Honeck

The RC model B-52 that was the subject of a popular video circulating
around
the Internet recently has crashed. snip A real shame;
someone had put a lot of work into this airplane.

A shame, indeed. At $3K per engine -- times EIGHT -- that's a really,
REALLY bad day at the R/C field.

(Shoot, I felt awful when I crashed my little $200 plane -- I can't imagine
what that guy must feel like...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 8th 04, 02:06 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:44:23 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

The RC model B-52 that was the subject of a popular video circulating around
the Internet recently has crashed. :-( It looks like the pilot stalled it in
a steep turn, rather like the terrible crash at Fairchild. A real shame;
someone had put a lot of work into this airplane.

http://www.teambanana.co.uk/b52crash2.wmv

That's terrible. It was definitely a cool model.

From mic on the video camera, it sounded like it was a windy day.
Without an ASI to refer to, the 'pilot' can really only rely on
pitch/power and a guestimate of airspeed (from the groundspee) to keep
the thing flying.

I had an RC model plane when I was younger. Flew it about 10 times
with another pilot doing most the takeoffs and landings. I put the
thing into storage, and then got it back out after I got my pilots
license. Managed to get the engine running again, and made sure the
controls worked. I figured if I could fly a real plane, I could fly
an RC one, so I made a trip to my families farm for a test flight...

Let me tell you - PP-ASEL skills don't translate to RC skills

I could not keep the plane straight & level, and eventually ended up
stalling it into the corn field. I walked corn rows for about 10 hrs
and never found the plane. Fortunately, our tenant farmer managed to
find it before the combine chopped it up. I still have it in storage,
and plan on rebuilding it and giving it another go (with supervision)
someday.

-Nathan
Old September 8th 04, 03:00 PM
Jay Honeck

I could not keep the plane straight & level, and eventually ended up
stalling it into the corn field.

I feel your pain.

I crashed my R/C plane repeatedly, and darned near severed a finger in the
prop.

After that little incident, I "retired" my plane to static display, put the
R/C gear into a car, and have since opted to do safer things -- like
motorcycling and flying big planes.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 8th 04, 03:22 PM
jawilljr

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message =
Can they get insurance on these RC models?
=20
Pete
=20
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message=20
The RC model B-52 that was the subject of a popular video =

circulating
around
the Internet recently has crashed. snip A real shame;
someone had put a lot of work into this airplane.

A shame, indeed. At $3K per engine -- times EIGHT -- that's a =

really,
REALLY bad day at the R/C field.

(Shoot, I felt awful when I crashed my little $200 plane -- I can't=20
imagine
what that guy must feel like...)
--=20
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

=20

=20
=20

Anybody who flies R/C models should join the AMA (Academy of Model =
Aeronautics). They have $2.5 million liability coverage. It is only =
about $58 a year... well worth it. I do not know if there is insurance =
on the model itself.

http://www.modelaircraft.org

http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...-files/103.pdf

Jerry
Old September 8th 04, 03:51 PM
David Wright

The RC model B-52 that was the subject of a popular video circulating
around
the Internet recently has crashed. :-( It looks like the pilot stalled it

in
a steep turn, rather like the terrible crash at Fairchild. A real shame;
someone had put a lot of work into this airplane.

That is a shame. I saw this fly at Duxford in the UK back in April (I think)
and it was a real monster of a plane - great to watch.

D.

Old September 9th 04, 12:25 AM
Dean Wilkinson

CJ, how dare you post a link to a crash video solely for the purpose
of providing voyeuristic entertainment! How insensitive of you!
Think of all the RC pilots that will be incensed by this...

I'm surprised that Dudley hasn't posted yet and given you a real
tongue lashing!

Dean

Old September 9th 04, 03:54 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm surprised that Dudley hasn't posted yet and given you a real
tongue lashing!

You're baaaaaad....

;-)
--