Speed record?

Old September 22nd 16, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Default Speed record?

Designed and test to 11% above vne. Not enough margin there for any excursions above VNE..
Old September 22nd 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 2:03:52 AM UTC-4, J. Nieuwenhuize wrote:
Designed and test to 11% above vne. Not enough margin there for any excursions above VNE.

Never have seen it but I read that wave lift is very smooth and nearly continuous. This flight, so close to (or above) Vne, could not be done in thermal lift. There should really be two classes of records for these very different conditions.
Old September 22nd 16, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Out and return speed records are now basically wave records and limited to VNE pretty much. To break them you need a glider with faster VNE, or risk breaking your glider.

Ramy

Old September 22nd 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

IIRC, the Duckhawk was to be built in various versions including one with a VNE in excess of 400KPH. As far as I can tell, serial production was never started. I wonder if they'd build one to order? You know, for someone that just HAS to break a world record....

P3
Old September 22nd 16, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

ASW-17 with short tips, effectively "no VNE" according to some rumors I've heard back with the old "start gate limbo" they had before loggers........ It was more, "how solid is your brass, how rough the air?".

Fairly impressive ship flown by some (still) impressive pilots......
Old September 22nd 16, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tomasz Sielicki

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 1:27:08 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
IIRC, the Duckhawk was to be built in various versions including one with a VNE in excess of 400KPH. As far as I can tell, serial production was never started. I wonder if they'd build one to order? You know, for someone that just HAS to break a world record....

P3

Take a look at this: Polish aerobatic glider from 1949 IS-4 Jastrzab (Hawk)with Vne of 450 kph (243 kt):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS-4_Jastrz%C4%85b
Old September 23rd 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:32:52 -0700, Tomasz Sielicki wrote:

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 1:27:08 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
IIRC, the Duckhawk was to be built in various versions including one
with a VNE in excess of 400KPH. As far as I can tell, serial
production was never started. I wonder if they'd build one to order?
You know, for someone that just HAS to break a world record....

P3

Take a look at this: Polish aerobatic glider from 1949 IS-4 Jastrzab
(Hawk)with Vne of 450 kph (243 kt):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IS-4_Jastrz%C4%85b

Interesting, but the Wikipedia numbers are deeply suspect (Vne 450 km/h,
Va 2300 km/h) - c'mon WikiEditor, whoever you are, next time try to
remember to *READ WHAT YOU WROTE* before committing your edit. Its really
not that hard.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 24th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Choosing altitudes based on winds aloft can make all the difference. Smaller headwind or crosswind one direction, the get into a strong tailwind the other direction and the assumption that out and back equalizes the speeds goes out the window.
Old September 25th 16, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Unless you can go above 18K, there is no much range to choose altitude in the Sierra wave. You basically try to stay between 17K to 18K the whole flight.

Ramy
Old September 27th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The design margins are far less than those indicated. More like 10-11 %.
Better not encourage breaking the limits.
By the way, while practically all sailplanes can withstand higher g loads than required (recent wings generally fail at very high loads), the same can't be said about flutter resistance.

On the other hand, a few models can be upgraded for increased flutter limits, probably by adding balancing masses and maybe improved control linkages.
Talk to the manufacturer to search into it.

Aldo Cernezzi

They're designed to 40% (?) above Vne and test flown to 20% (?) over.

Yes, exceeding the Vne printed in the manual makes you a test pilot. That's part and parcel of world record flying. Don't try it at home.

2200k at 194.66kph is this a speed record? joesimmers[_2_] Soaring 4 May 5th 12 04:05 AM
sailcar speed record bagmaker Soaring 7 April 1st 09 10:47 PM
New world speed record: 534 km/h! [email protected] Soaring 8 September 23rd 06 02:25 PM
speed record set by scramjet - fair? Don French Piloting 55 November 28th 04 02:57 PM
F-106 Speed record questions.... David E. Powell Military Aviation 67 February 25th 04 07:13 AM