Best Book for New Teen Glider Students

Old September 26th 16, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best Book for New Teen Glider Students

Many options available today for introductory books for student teen glider pilots.

Which one(s) are preferred and why? Responses from clubs and commercial schools would be appreciated. Our new club is developing a program for teens.

Thanks

Jim Callaway
Old September 26th 16, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Aviation is conducted in a new, three dimensional environment. The textbook must describe, in easy to understand language, the reason an aircraft has each of the three primary flight controls, how an aircraft flies, and how a person uses each control to maneuver in a safe manner.

There is much, much more, however, it all begins here.

Tom Knauff

Old September 27th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 2:33:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Aviation is conducted in a new, three dimensional environment. The textbook must describe, in easy to understand language, the reason an aircraft has each of the three primary flight controls, how an aircraft flies, and how a person uses each control to maneuver in a safe manner.

There is much, much more, however, it all begins here.

Tom Knauff

Tom

Thanks for your response. You have trained hundreds of glider pilots of all ages and have developed a curriculum and methods for each age group. We want to adopt and utilize the best resources now available. Our club core group has 30 to 40 years soaring experience, but we are not aware of all the materials and resources currently in use. Would you be available for a phone conference at your convenience?

Regards,

Jim Callaway
Old September 27th 16, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim,

You might want to check out the materials that I have developed. My two text books for soaring students are the "Glider Pilot's Handbooks of Aeronautical Knowledge", and the "Flight Training Manual for Gliders". The first book covers all the knowledge areas, and the second covers flight training.

I wrote both books for a high school audience. At the time I was writing the books I was helping to create the Youth Soaring Academy, a non-profit organization that assisted 14-18 year olds in getting their glider license. I made sure that the books covered all the information necessary for a student to make it from their first flight, through getting their Bronze Badge.

More recently, I have been developing online courses to compliment the knowledge training, and a sim platform and lessons to aid in flight training. The interactive nature of the online courses and sim training seems to appeal to younger students.

You can find more information about these materials at my website, http://www.GliderBooks.com, or if you like, I would be happy to discuss them with you. You can email me at .

I hope this helps, and am glad to hear that you are doing something to increase the number of young people in soaring.

-Russell Holtz

Old September 27th 16, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry, I should have given you our phone number: (814) 355 2483
Web site: WWW.EGLIDER.ORG