Why All The German/Nazi Threads?

Old October 20th 03, 12:32 AM
David Joston

Default Why All The German/Nazi Threads?

Is this a World War II newsgroup or what?

Why can't anyone talk about at least modern military aviation?

I, for one, would like to see more discussions on the F-22, F-35,
Eurofighter, Rafale, JAS 39 Gripen, Su-47, MiG MFI, or any other new
aircraft.

My son bought a toy Su-47 today and asked me if Russia will ever
accept it as their new air superiority fighter. I honestly don't know-
does anyone here?

That's what this newsgroup should be here for, not a trip down memory
road arguing with nazi sympathizers, apologists, and such.

I suggest we all ignore such posts and get back to our roots.

BGX
Old October 20th 03, 01:02 AM
PosterBoy

"David Joston" wrote in message
om...
Is this a World War II newsgroup or what?

Why can't anyone talk about at least modern military aviation?

I, for one, would like to see more discussions on the F-22, F-35,
Eurofighter, Rafale, JAS 39 Gripen, Su-47, MiG MFI, or any other new
aircraft.

My son bought a toy Su-47 today and asked me if Russia will ever
accept it as their new air superiority fighter. I honestly don't know-
does anyone here?

That's what this newsgroup should be here for, not a trip down memory
road arguing with nazi sympathizers, apologists, and such.

Ummmm........
Do you see the word "toy" in the name of this newsgroup?
Seriously...we even entertain the questions and comments of modelers, but
don't you think that military aviation of any era should take precedence
over toy airplanes? Think it over.

Cheers.

Old October 20th 03, 02:15 AM
Denyav

Is this a World War II newsgroup or what?

Why can't anyone talk about at least modern military aviation?

The originators of the most of the modern military aviation developments are
Germans and Brits,thats the reason why their names comes up frequently during
discussions.
Old October 20th 03, 06:01 AM

In article MCFkb.128605$9l5.112738@pd7tw2no, "PosterBoy"
wrote:

Ummmm........
Do you see the word "toy" in the name of this newsgroup?
Seriously...we even entertain the questions and comments of modelers, but
don't you think that military aviation of any era should take precedence
over toy airplanes? Think it over.

it was my understanding that rec [as in rec.aviation.military] is an
abreviation of the word recreational. look at all the other groups in
the rec. heirarchy: sports, collectibles, etc.

this newgroup exists for the hobbyist: planespotting, restoring old
aircraft and attending airshows are all on topic, but the majority of
hobbyists build model airplanes.
Old October 20th 03, 07:49 AM
Keith Willshaw

"David Joston" wrote in message
om...
Is this a World War II newsgroup or what?

Why can't anyone talk about at least modern military aviation?

I dont recall the name of the newsgrooup including the word .modern

I, for one, would like to see more discussions on the F-22, F-35,
Eurofighter, Rafale, JAS 39 Gripen, Su-47, MiG MFI, or any other new
aircraft.

There are number of such threads ongoing , fell free to contribute

My son bought a toy Su-47 today and asked me if Russia will ever
accept it as their new air superiority fighter. I honestly don't know-
does anyone here?

That's what this newsgroup should be here for, not a trip down memory
road arguing with nazi sympathizers, apologists, and such.

I suggest we all ignore such posts and get back to our roots.

BGX

I suggest you stop playing netcop.

Keith

Old October 20th 03, 11:05 AM
Cub Driver

The originators of the most of the modern military aviation developments are
Germans and Brits,thats the reason why their names comes up frequently during
discussions.

There's also a subset of trolls who are interested in bashing the
U.S., and the best or only thing they can think of is to compare it to
the German military it defeated in the field. This originated with the
communists in the late 1940s / 1950s and soon acquired a life of its
own. You can see a bunch of such threads on this newsgroup at the
moment, unless you've been active with your troll-killing filters.

Sometimes they are even funny, as when a troll pointed out that the
current U.S. kevlar helmet resembles nothing more than a (gasp!)
German coal-scuttle helmet as it developed in WWI (not in the Nazi
era).

I'm pleased at least that someone finally thought to put the word
"German" in the thread. The notion that the German alliance of
1939-1945 was purely a Nazi phenomenon is as nutty as saying that they
were defeated by an alliance of Communists and Democrats.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 20th 03, 04:41 PM
John Mullen

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

[...]

That was probably me. The trouble is, there is a sizeable group of US
posters on this NG who seldom if ever have anything to say about military
aviation, contenting themselves with name-calling (your post here is an
example). According to them, anyone who doesn't repeat their 'Pledge of
Allegiance' daily is a 'troll'.

Just ask yourself, would you *honestly* prefer it if nobody ever posted any
kind of dissent about US foreign policy (as it relates to Military Aviation)
here? Wouldn't it be kind of boring? I sometimes think some of you would
prefer a moderated NG, where everything was nice and safe for your ignorant
preconceptions about your country's place in the world, its history and the
essential rightness of everything it has ever done, even on the occasions
when it was demonstrably wrong.

US patriotism can look somewhat quaint and simplistic from a European
perspective. Ironically, the preservation of freedom of expression is one of
the things you can justly be somewhat proud of. I just wonder how many
USAians actually understand what it means.

I'm pleased at least that someone finally thought to put the word
"German" in the thread. The notion that the German alliance of
1939-1945 was purely a Nazi phenomenon is as nutty as saying that they
were defeated by an alliance of Communists and Democrats.

Quite right. Vice versa works as well; Nazism was far from being a purely
German phenomenon. Our own royal family had at least one closet Nazi, who no
doubt would have been the titular ruler if Germany had won the war.

John