F-106 Speed record questions....

Old February 17th 04, 03:45 AM
David E. Powell

Default F-106 Speed record questions....

OK, now this is really old information, but as a kid I recall reading
somewhere that the F-16 set a record for single-engine production fighters,
with a top speed of Mach 2.32, and that this was (at the time I heard) still
a record for single engine production fighters.

Is this true, or did it set a record when it first flew that was passed
later? I know that an F-16's top speed is lower, but....

Also, I have seen websites saying the -106 was phased out in 1988, but I
seem to recall the order being given around then, but the process taking a
while, with Atlantic City, NJ featuring them flying/on the ramp up until the
Desert Storm timeframe or soon thereafter....

What I wouldn't give for some of the books I read as a kid. The library in
town was full of books on the USAF written in the early 1960s. Truly a step
into a different perspective on things. Seeing the old school planes and
pressure suits, as well as the cheerful prose. (Especially the sections on
survival training, with USAF pilots cheerfully cooking alligators caught in
the Everglades.)

Old February 17th 04, 04:36 AM
Ron

OK, now this is really old information, but as a kid I recall reading
somewhere that the F-16 set a record for single-engine production fighters,
with a top speed of Mach 2.32, and that this was (at the time I heard) still
a record for single engine production fighters.

Is this true, or did it set a record when it first flew that was passed
later? I know that an F-16's top speed is lower, but....

I think F-104, 105, 106 would all be faster than an F-16...

I seriously doubt an F-16 ever having a speed record, it just was not designed
with top speed in mind.
Boyds Fighter Mafia realized fighters rarely ever need to go that fast, but
energy maneuvering was important though.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

Old February 17th 04, 04:56 AM
David E. Powell

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you, sir. I mistyped, though - I believe the 106 had the 2.32 Mach
speed. F-16 I think is around 1.8 Mach. I read somewhere that the 106's
speed was the top one for a production single engine fighter. Sounds pretty
good, regardless.

Old February 17th 04, 05:14 AM
Tarver Engineering

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
s.com...
"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

2.3 is what our ANG unit claimed for the F-106.

Old February 17th 04, 05:40 AM
Jack G

From the list of official FAI Air Speed Records:

16 May 1958 Lockheed YF-104A 1404.01 MPH
31 Oct. 1959 Mikoyan E-66 1483.83 MPH
15 Dec. 1959 Convair F-106A 1525.94 MPH
22 Nov. 1961 Mc Donnell F4H-1F 1606.50 MPH

Go to http://www.speedrecordclub.com/records/outair.htm for a complete
history.

Jack

Old February 17th 04, 12:55 PM
John Carrier

I think the Soviets beat the Phantom record with the one-off E-166 (looked
like a fat Mig-21 with a monster motor). Of course, Vought and the Navy
never tried it with the F-8U3 which was accelerating rapidly through 2.39
when the canopy started to overheat.

R / John

From the list of official FAI Air Speed Records:

Old February 17th 04, 06:15 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:55:57 -0600, "John Carrier"
wrote:

I think the Soviets beat the Phantom record with the one-off E-166 (looked
like a fat Mig-21 with a monster motor). Of course, Vought and the Navy
never tried it with the F-8U3 which was accelerating rapidly through 2.39
when the canopy started to overheat.

R / John

If you have access to "Soviet X-Planes" they have an article on the
E-166. ISTR it used the same engine as the Mig-25. Sukhoi also built
an E-166 look-alike and both supposedly reached M2.85.
Old February 17th 04, 10:37 PM
Vygg

You can go here for the story on the speed record:

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/index1.htm

It should be noted that the aircraft that set the record was pre-PUP,
pre-Pacer Mower, and had the heavy canopy installed. It was identical to
those in squadron service and had nothing special done to it to improve
its speed (in fact, it was the spare and wasn't even intended to go for
the record). This was a production aircraft, not a one-off hybrid or
prototype of an MDS never produced.

The Six later earned the nickname "Last of the Sports Models".

Vygg

Old February 18th 04, 04:43 AM
WaltBJ

That F106 was on display at the USAFA - the heat exposure am=nnealed
the aluminum structure so it no longer possessed design strength and
had to be grounded. I also heard the engine's RPM was cranked up way
over tech order limits - interesting because a 1% increase on a dual
spool engine can be a 5% increase in thrust. Supposedly went from 93%
up to 97%.
I also had a long phone conversation with an old squadron mate. He
mentioned he used to FCF F111s - and had one out to 2.7 in a shallow
dive from 50 grand. And I believe him - know him well. Don't bother
telling me it's past the red line; that's just a mark on a gauge.
Walt BJ
Old February 18th 04, 04:55 AM
Tarver Engineering

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...
That F106 was on display at the USAFA - the heat exposure am=nnealed
the aluminum structure so it no longer possessed design strength and
had to be grounded. I also heard the engine's RPM was cranked up way
over tech order limits - interesting because a 1% increase on a dual
spool engine can be a 5% increase in thrust. Supposedly went from 93%
up to 97%.

That would be a real nice gold plate motor to be running 100% thrust at 93%.

I also had a long phone conversation with an old squadron mate. He
mentioned he used to FCF F111s - and had one out to 2.7 in a shallow
dive from 50 grand. And I believe him - know him well. Don't bother
telling me it's past the red line; that's just a mark on a gauge.

It was believd around our F-106 squadron that the airframe was aerodynamicly
limited to 2.3.

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Edwards air show B-1 speed record attempt Paul Hirose Military Aviation 146 November 3rd 03 05:18 PM