F-106 Speed record questions....

Old February 19th 04, 03:04 AM
Pete

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote

Mach 2.3 was normal operating speed in the squadron I worked for. Our
people believed the F-106 was aerodynamicly limited to that speed.

"normal operating speed"
Where was the normal AO?

Going mach 2.3 in an F-106 does not harm the airplane.

Going much faster than mach 2.3 is not an option in an intact F-106.

I don't question the -106 speed, but rather where they were doing it as part
of "normal operations"

Pete

Old February 19th 04, 07:08 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Pete" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote

Mach 2.3 was normal operating speed in the squadron I worked for.

Our
people believed the F-106 was aerodynamicly limited to that speed.

"normal operating speed"
Where was the normal AO?

Going mach 2.3 in an F-106 does not harm the airplane.

Going much faster than mach 2.3 is not an option in an intact F-106.

I don't question the -106 speed, but rather where they were doing it as

part
of "normal operations"

Question anything the Tarvernaut spouts. While some sources indicate a max
speed at altitude for the F-106 as being M2.3, the 319th FIS association's
website indicates it was actually a little bit below that (M2.25). And that
is the *max* speed--so his assertion that the F-106 normally operated at its
absolute max is crap. Now is about the time the Tarvernaut comes forth with
his, "Our F-106's were actually tasked to perform nuclear strike missions
with "optical nukes", and carried the AIM-7 Sparrow...", etc. All of which
is complete and utter hogwash, of course. But I suspect you may already know
this, and are just engaged in a bit of tail-twisting-of-the-Tarvernaut
here...

Brooks

Pete

Old February 19th 04, 03:26 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Pete" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote

Mach 2.3 was normal operating speed in the squadron I worked for.

Our
people believed the F-106 was aerodynamicly limited to that speed.

"normal operating speed"
Where was the normal AO?

Going mach 2.3 in an F-106 does not harm the airplane.

Going much faster than mach 2.3 is not an option in an intact F-106.

I don't question the -106 speed, but rather where they were doing it as

part
of "normal operations"

Our F-106s flew to Santa Barbara, air refueled, flew to 55,000 feet and then
headed for the Bearing Straight to meet their Soviet counterparts. Nose
down from 55,000 feet can make a lot of speed.

Old February 19th 04, 03:54 PM

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Our F-106s flew to Santa Barbara, air refueled, flew to 55,000 feet and then
headed for the Bearing Straight to meet their Soviet counterparts. Nose
down from 55,000 feet can make a lot of speed.

Christ John!...it's Bering Strait...you sound so careless, aren't
you concerned with what people think of you?
--

-Gord.
Old February 19th 04, 04:27 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Our F-106s flew to Santa Barbara, air refueled, flew to 55,000 feet and

then
headed for the Bearing Straight to meet their Soviet counterparts. Nose
down from 55,000 feet can make a lot of speed.

Christ John!...it's Bering Strait...you sound so careless, aren't
you concerned with what people think of you?

Did you understand what I wrote Gord?

Old February 19th 04, 08:56 PM
B2431

From: "Gord Beaman"

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Our F-106s flew to Santa Barbara, air refueled, flew to 55,000 feet and then
headed for the Bearing Straight to meet their Soviet counterparts. Nose
down from 55,000 feet can make a lot of speed.

Christ John!...it's Bering Strait...you sound so careless, aren't
you concerned with what people think of you?
--

-Gord.

Just don't ask him why the California Guard sixes he was working on were
intercepting Soviet aircraft in Alaskan airpsace when there were aircraft in
Alaska just for that purpose.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 19th 04, 09:02 PM
Tarver Engineering

From: "Gord Beaman"

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Our F-106s flew to Santa Barbara, air refueled, flew to 55,000 feet and

then
headed for the Bearing Straight to meet their Soviet counterparts. Nose
down from 55,000 feet can make a lot of speed.

Christ John!...it's Bering Strait...you sound so careless, aren't
you concerned with what people think of you?

I am a lazy engineer that does not care about spelling. That much effort is
someting I associate with work, not recreation.

Just don't ask him why the California Guard sixes he was working on were
intercepting Soviet aircraft in Alaskan airpsace when there were aircraft

in
Alaska just for that purpose.

I believe it was we that were being intercepted.

Every now and then the pair of F-106s flight were not decoys and the big
glass eye would drop down and take their picture. All very funny, from a
LeMay perspective.

Old February 20th 04, 12:28 AM
Vygg

Tarver Engineering wrote:
"Vygg" wrote in message

Hmmm. According to the USAF aircraft database, F-106A 56-0467 was last
assigned to the 329th FIS at George AFB, Ca and was destroyed in a class
A accident on 14 August 1961. The aircraft on display at USAFA is
58-0761. 0467 seems to have flown in squadron service for quite awhile
after making its speed run - not bad for an aircraft that's rumored to
have had its structure damaged.

Mach 2.3 was normal operating speed in the squadron I worked for. Our
people believed the F-106 was aerodynamicly limited to that speed.

Tarver, you are brown-eyed. If you really were in the 194th you'll know
exactly what that means.

Vygg

Old February 20th 04, 12:32 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Vygg" wrote in message

Tarver Engineering wrote:
"Vygg" wrote in message

Hmmm. According to the USAF aircraft database, F-106A 56-0467 was last
assigned to the 329th FIS at George AFB, Ca and was destroyed in a class
A accident on 14 August 1961. The aircraft on display at USAFA is
58-0761. 0467 seems to have flown in squadron service for quite awhile
after making its speed run - not bad for an aircraft that's rumored to
have had its structure damaged.

Mach 2.3 was normal operating speed in the squadron I worked for. Our
people believed the F-106 was aerodynamicly limited to that speed.

Tarver, you are brown-eyed. If you really were in the 194th you'll know
exactly what that means.

I was at the 144th FIW.

My eyes are hazel.

Old February 20th 04, 01:43 AM
Yeff

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:28:52 GMT, Vygg wrote:

Tarver, you are brown-eyed. If you really were in the 194th you'll know
exactly what that means.

He's full of ****.

-Jeff B. (who was never in the 194th)
yeff at erols dot com

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Edwards air show B-1 speed record attempt Paul Hirose Military Aviation 146 November 3rd 03 05:18 PM