1553 bus on the C-130?

Old June 10th 04, 06:01 PM
David Harper

Default 1553 bus on the C-130?

Does the C-130 have two 1553 buses onboard? One for flight control
and one for EW/mission systems?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old June 10th 04, 07:30 PM
M.H.Greaves

I thought it was the No.1 via kings cross!!? lol

--
"Fire at will"
Which one's will?! Do you know these people????
om...

Old June 11th 04, 06:53 PM
Simon Robbins

"David Harper" wrote in message
om...
Does the C-130 have two 1553 buses onboard? One for flight control
and one for EW/mission systems?

I don't think 1553 is used for flight control since the latency and speed
isn't sufficient. Mission systems may well use it though. I think by nature
1553 is dual-redundant so that's where you might get the idea of two from.
Not familiar with the C-130 personally though.

Si

Old June 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Simon Robbins"
wrote:

"David Harper" wrote in message
om...
Does the C-130 have two 1553 buses onboard? One for flight control
and one for EW/mission systems?

I don't think 1553 is used for flight control since the latency and speed
isn't sufficient. Mission systems may well use it though. I think by nature
1553 is dual-redundant so that's where you might get the idea of two from.
Not familiar with the C-130 personally though.

1553 has no inherent connection with dual-redundancy.
In fact, 1553 is usually used as a single bus.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old June 11th 04, 10:10 PM
matheson31

Definitely not used for flight controls. If you have ever been in a 130
and looked up you saw lots of cables that connect to actuators that run the
flight controls. Now the MC-130E has a 1553 bus for systems. I suspect the
MC-130H has two, for redundant systems. The C-130J might have more than
one, because of the FADEC and all the systems.

Les Matheson
F-4C(WW)/D/E/G(WW), AC-130A, MC-130E WSO/EWO (ret)

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message
"David Harper" wrote in message
om...
Does the C-130 have two 1553 buses onboard? One for flight control
and one for EW/mission systems?

I don't think 1553 is used for flight control since the latency and speed
isn't sufficient. Mission systems may well use it though. I think by

nature
1553 is dual-redundant so that's where you might get the idea of two from.
Not familiar with the C-130 personally though.

Si

---

Old June 11th 04, 10:31 PM
Paul Hirose

Simon Robbins wrote:

I don't think 1553 is used for flight control since the latency and speed
isn't sufficient.

It is sufficient for the B-2 flight control system, which is totally
dependent on MIL-STD-1553B data buses for reading the air data ports
and commanding the hydraulic actuators. (The stick and pedal position
transducers are not on the buses; they are wired directly to the
flight control computers.)

During ground testing I've transferred 700,000 bps through a 1553 bus
from the B-2 cockpit area out to a flight control actuator terminal in
one of the wings. That figure is net data throughput, i.e., it doesn't
count the command and status words, parity bits, etc. And it's not
necessarily the maximum capacity. I never had an opportunity to
experiment and find the limits of the bus, though I believe 700,000
bps must be pretty close.

That throughput was attained between test sets connected to the bus; I
have no idea how much bandwidth the B-2 flight control system uses in
normal operation.

There are about 32 MIL-STD-1553B data buses on a B-2. Four are
dedicated to flight controls.

I've never even been aboard a C-130, except maybe at an air show
static display, so I can't answer the original poster's question. But
I can confirm that the 1553 bus does have enough speed for fly by wire
flight controls on a large airplane.

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.

Old June 12th 04, 09:48 PM
Arie Kazachin

In message - "Simon Robbins"
writes:

"David Harper" wrote in message
. com...
Does the C-130 have two 1553 buses onboard? One for flight control
and one for EW/mission systems?

I don't think 1553 is used for flight control since the latency and speed
isn't sufficient. Mission systems may well use it though. I think by nature
1553 is dual-redundant so that's where you might get the idea of two from.
Not familiar with the C-130 personally though.

Si

In flight control systems tolerable delays are so large by todays computers
standards than it's hardly an issue: for example, such an agile fighter as
F-16 feels OK with about 1/2 second delay between the stick input and control
surface movement. The fastest type of signal is stabilization augmentation -
the control surface can oscilate at frequencies from somewhat below 8Hz in
F-4E to something like 20Hz in F-15 (not having F-15 experience the last
figure is taken from someone else's words). A delay of the order of 0.1 sec
is HUGE by even a modest computer network standard. I don't remember by heart
the 1553 standard but I'm sure 0.1 sec delay is well within limits.

BTW, one of the replys was dealing with 1553 throughput in B-2. Please note
that throughput and delay are not the same and quite often they're
contradictory desigh trends: a design optimized for min. delay will have
lower throughput and vise virsa (assuming same cost). So, measuring a
throughput from one network point to another is irrelevant to FLCS tolerable
delay. What should be measured is the worst case max. delay, usually at top
throughput and in some particular "pathologic" case of network traffic.

************************************************** ****************************
* Arie Kazachin, Israel, e-mail: *
************************************************** ****************************
NOTE: before replying, leave only letters in my domain-name. Sorry, SPAM trap.
___
.__/ |
| O /
_/ /
| | I HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO !!!
| |
| | |
| | /O\
| _ \_______[|(.)|]_______/
| * / \ o ++ O ++ o
| | |
| |
\ \_)
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\ |
\_|

Old June 13th 04, 02:29 PM
Tony

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article , "Simon Robbins"
wrote:

"David Harper" wrote in message
om...
Does the C-130 have two 1553 buses onboard? One for flight control
and one for EW/mission systems?

I don't think 1553 is used for flight control since the latency and

speed
isn't sufficient. Mission systems may well use it though. I think by

nature
1553 is dual-redundant so that's where you might get the idea of two

from.
Not familiar with the C-130 personally though.

1553 has no inherent connection with dual-redundancy.
In fact, 1553 is usually used as a single bus.

The 1553B bus is, by definition, dual redundant. Each
bus has an A and B side. Data is transmitted on one
or the other - never both at the same time.

Tony S.