EU Heavy Bomber ideas?

Old June 21st 04, 02:44 AM
David E. Powell

Default EU Heavy Bomber ideas?

If the EU is looking for more reach without carriers, how about heavy
bombers? Certainly something on the order of B-1B as far as airframe might
be a goal, or something less radical. It depends on their budget and
requirements, I guess. From bases in Europe they could cover much of Africa,
the Middle East, etc.

Of course if they wanted to go somewhere with fighters they might need
escort, etc.

DEP

Old June 21st 04, 04:08 AM
noname

David E. Powell wrote:
From bases in Europe they could cover much of Africa,
the Middle East, etc.

And USA!

Old June 21st 04, 04:30 AM
Ragnar

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
s.com...
If the EU is looking for more reach without carriers, how about heavy
bombers

They don't need bombers for two reasons:

1. The USA will protect them. They claim they don't like that, but it
speaks volumes that they have all (except for the UK) let their military
budgets and capabilities decline to ludicrous levels.

2. Even if they had them, they'd never use them. The EU would spend years
debating military action, even if the hordes of whoever were beating on the
parliament doors.

Old June 21st 04, 04:30 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
s.com...
If the EU is looking for more reach without carriers, how about heavy
bombers? Certainly something on the order of B-1B as far as airframe might
be a goal, or something less radical. It depends on their budget and
requirements, I guess. From bases in Europe they could cover much of

Africa,
the Middle East, etc.

Of course if they wanted to go somewhere with fighters they might need
escort, etc.

DEP

I don't think that they'd have to be all that large, as the white flags and
rose petals they'd be designed to dispense tend to not take up as much room
as bombs.

Old June 21st 04, 05:37 AM
Henry J Cobb

David E. Powell wrote:
If the EU is looking for more reach without carriers, how about heavy
bombers? Certainly something on the order of B-1B as far as airframe might
be a goal, or something less radical. It depends on their budget and
requirements, I guess. From bases in Europe they could cover much of Africa,
the Middle East, etc.

Of course if they wanted to go somewhere with fighters they might need
escort, etc.

Actually the EU member states have carefully studied the relative effectiveness
of the USN and USAF and most have concluded that the correct platforms for power
projection in the future will be carriers and submarines. ;-)

-HJC
Old June 21st 04, 08:05 AM
DunxC

They claim they don't like that, but it
speaks volumes that they have all (except for the UK) let their military
budgets and capabilities decline to ludicrous levels.

And what heavy bombers does the RAF have exactly?

Duncan
Old June 21st 04, 09:43 AM
Ragnar

"DunxC" wrote in message
They claim they don't like that, but it
speaks volumes that they have all (except for the UK) let their military
budgets and capabilities decline to ludicrous levels.

And what heavy bombers does the RAF have exactly?

I never said they did, only that the UK has a military that actually works.
Perhaps you could re-read the sentence you cut and pasted.

Old June 21st 04, 10:46 AM
Cub Driver

I never said they did, only that the UK has a military that actually works.

To be entirely fair, so does France.

The Brits did especially well in Basra, because they treated it as a
Middle East version of Belfast, just oozing into it rather than taking
it by assault.

France has done especially well in African messes. We tend to forget
how many of these there have been (French military adventures, not
messes) because American media resolutely ignore anything that doesn't
have an American angle. Before the U.S. bombed Gaddafi, for example,
the French had a small army in Chad (was it Chad? oh God I can't
remember) that whupped Gaddafi's invasion.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 21st 04, 11:48 AM
M. J. Powell

In message , Ragnar
writes

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
ws.com...
If the EU is looking for more reach without carriers, how about heavy
bombers

They don't need bombers for two reasons:

1. The USA will protect them. They claim they don't like that, but it
speaks volumes that they have all (except for the UK) let their military
budgets and capabilities decline to ludicrous levels.

The Chancellor has reduced the military budget by 1 billion GBP for the
next year.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old June 21st 04, 02:45 PM
BUFDRVR

What use would they be, anyway? These days heavy bombers
appear to be used mostly for tactical air support

I'm not sure what gave you this "appearance", but all three U.S. bombers have
done much more than CAS in the last three conflicts (since 1999).

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"