Wingtips for PW-5

Old June 13th 11, 07:09 PM
kilocharlie kilocharlie is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsoars View Post
On Jun 9, 7:09*pm, "
wrote:[color=blue][i]

Oran Nicks developed plans to build a PW 5 with extension winglets.
Nicks was a highly respected aeronautical engineer, instrumental in
the design of the space shuttle and was the US representative in the
selection of the PW 5 as the World Class glider. According to his
calculations, the structural integrity of this sturdy ship could
easily allow for the extensions. He home-built a PW 5 and was working
to encourage others to do so. Not only would it have both the “class-
legal” tips and the 15 meter tips, it could be stored in a
conventional garage (without winglets), thus avoiding the cost of a
hanger and long trailer. The goal was low cost gliding for those who
don’t want to spend a huge sum of money. I hope someone will pursue
this great idea.
His technical determination strongly support our opinion of this glider. We have seen so many "hard landings on PW-5's ... not-so-ideal takeoffs ... etc .. And they are still intact serving new and experience pilots with unmatched level of flexibility. And taking about assembly ... - quick and simple with only wing stand needed. Can't bit that. Reflecting on current trend we may let go reaming "metal" in our club and just rest on PW-5's as a solely one "intermediate" - "fun" fliers.
Looking around for wintips design/manufacturer .. we are puting together list of possible "takers"... in hope that documented interest will generate SOLUTION ;-)

KiloCharlie ...

PS..// yesterday .. "flat day" in Midwest ... Longest flights were ... DG400, Jantar Std and PW5 !!! (me at controls) .. ;-) .. were DG300 landed out and most of "glass" counted some 30 min mediocere flights ;-) .. go figure ..//
Old June 14th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

Default Wingtips for PW-5

Not to mention, that there is no less expensive, new glider build in
the last 20 years.

Debatable.

Thanks, Bob K.http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Debatable ?
As much as I wish you the very best with your interesting project, it
is a pipe dreaming, to think that you'll build HP's-24 with standard
certificate, and be willing to sell them for less then $25,000.-
It is not going to happened.
Richard K. GR8

Old June 14th 11, 07:09 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRK View Post

Not to mention, that there is no less expensive, new glider build in
the last 20 years.

Debatable.

Thanks, Bob K.http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Debatable ?
As much as I wish you the very best with your interesting project, it
is a pipe dreaming, to think that you'll build HP's-24 with standard
certificate, and be willing to sell them for less then $25,000.-
It is not going to happened.
Richard K. GR8

Of course it's a pipe dream but not Bob's. He includes the link in all the posts I've seen of his. if you have in fact looked at what he is trying to achieve you would realise he isn't trying to produce a ready to fly standard certificate glider for less than $25k but a kit for people who wish to get their hands 'dirty' as part of getting in the air in their own ship.

More power to him I say

Colin
Old June 14th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

On Jun 12, 7:16*pm, CletaSmelmLer CletaSmelmLer.
wrote:
Hi nice topic you have going here!

--
CletaSmelmLer

Nothing wrong with a PW5 that 15 metre wings and a proper tailplane
wouldn't put right!
Old June 14th 11, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jun 14, 11:09*am, Ventus_a
wrote:
RRK;775168 Wrote:

--
[...]

I am the beta-builder for the HP-24. And let me tell you, it is a
beautiful looking sailplane. I hope we can get a lot of kits out
there, but it is a lot of work; to produce kits as well as build them.
But, the end result will be quite a nice sailplane.

Brad
Old June 14th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Flewett[_2_]

At 04:35 10 June 2011, RRK wrote:
Not to mention, that there is no less expensive, new glider build in
the last 20 years.

Perhaps. But why not buy a Cirrus... Less money, more performance, a
comparitively crashworthy cockpit, a meaningful class to race in, your
friends still talk to you, the benefits are endless.

You can't call a Cirrus driver a snob!

Cheers

Ben

Old June 15th 11, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Jun 15, 9:25*am, Ben Flewett wrote:
At 04:35 10 June 2011, RRK wrote:

Not to mention, that there is no less expensive, new glider build in
the last 20 years.

Perhaps. But why not buy a Cirrus... Less money, more performance, a
comparitively crashworthy cockpit, a meaningful class to race in, your
friends still talk to you, the benefits are endless.

One person can go out and buy a Cirrus cheaply. Probably even ten
could.

A hundred people or a thousand people could not.

I'm sure we've been over this :-)
Old June 15th 11, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Cirrus is fun to fly, and it's as tough as nails.
PW5 is no doubt more forgiving, but I can't see the allure of spending
more money, on lower performance and lower strength.

FWIW the standard airframe life on the Std Cirrus is 15,000 hours. My
recently sold 1970 edition had less than 3000 on her. A shiny new glider
becomes a used glider very fast. Then you are only looking at
capability, flying characteristics and price...

Think - is it better to buy a new car and take the depreciation hit, or
to buy a nearly new car for 30% less? Believe me - at the end of the
first year you will be unable to tell the difference between the car you
purchased six months old and the car you put the first six month wear onto.

If you have the money and inclination to spend the extra money, you are
probably more in the market for a higher performance glider.

If you are looking for something that is newer/ lower maintenance/
lighter easier to rig etc. Then you might be in the market for a PW5.

It's a good thing there is such a diverse market out there - or I would
still be a bachelor...

On 2011/06/14 11:25 PM, Ben Flewett wrote:
At 04:35 10 June 2011, RRK wrote:
Not to mention, that there is no less expensive, new glider build in
the last 20 years.

Perhaps. But why not buy a Cirrus... Less money, more performance, a
comparitively crashworthy cockpit, a meaningful class to race in, your
friends still talk to you, the benefits are endless.

You can't call a Cirrus driver a snob!

Cheers

Ben

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57
Old June 15th 11, 05:02 PM
kilocharlie kilocharlie is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceGreeff View Post
If you have the money and inclination to spend the extra money, you are
probably more in the market for a higher performance glider.

If you are looking for something that is newer/ lower maintenance/
lighter easier to rig etc. Then you might be in the market for a PW5.
[/i][/color]

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57

Tremendous amount of heat IS JUST A CLEAR INDICATION OF THE OUTSTANDING VALUE OF THIS plane and fact that some pilots who made a different choice still have problem justifying their decisions.

We have our PW-5's and we are really happy with them.
As mentioned earlier:
-Flies just slightly "below "big brothers and sisters"
-Super SAFE - can't really stall it ;-), Do not believe? - fly one and check. Probably the only glider which offers such a forgiving behavior,
-Can be used a s transition trainer for faster SuperGlass (I practiced number of fast/flat landings before I got into 40x:1 ship..), yet could be "mounted" almost right after Solo
-Super cheap insurance,
-Super easy maintenance,
-Super Comfy - as mentioned I am 6'4" - 215lb .. and it feels roomy :-)
-During winter it simply "sleeps" in a standard garage (where I can work on it as it pleases me ;-)
-I can assemble this plane MYSELF (with some stand/riger) within 15minutes !!! - no problem / no kidding. If I have a helping hand rigging become a positive "joke".
-beats ALL the "antic metal" I can think off (and fly in our club) ... IT IS A GLASS by the way :-)

I fly it for FUN .. read it again .. FUN !!! ... It can "scrab" very well so I can stay in week Midwest lifts for surprisingly long time having FUN all the way. I simply "feel" PW-5 may use a bit longer wing / winglets especially for the heavier pilots like myself.

When I want some thrill then I jump on Orbitz and fly somewhere where I can RENT a "SuperGlass" (Duo-Discuss is my preference ;-) ... and due "something serious" Even then is costs serious backs it still offers me better / cheaper option then owning SuperGlass and all associated costs/troubles.

And please stop teasing me with a HP-24 kit. IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS GOING TO BE A GREAT GLIDER, however IT IS GOING TO BE prohibitively expensive - even as a kit ;-) (and please correct me with ballpark numbers so we can hold you accountable.. ;-). Not counting skills and hours required to build it - when SZD-55 or Shark is already there and ready. Want to get "reality check" ? -- reexamine history of Silent kits .. price/hours etc. For me KIT BUILDING goes as far as putting together 1:48 scale plastic model ;-)

Now, PW-5 could be purchased a new from Jezow for about 20k - call them and check (Mr. Mynarski will happily make one up for less - I bet) .. and remember that PW-5 was also made as kit (more then twenty sent to Egypt as I remember) .. so it would be/ should be available for all of those who have all time on their hands ...

I want to click-and-fly .. and have fun doing it. If not flying - I would rather be working in my profession (which is not "garage-kit-builder", making some monies to fly even more ;-)

Thank You All for your great interest responding to my request .. and please stay "on subject" ...
If anyone considering "winglets build challenge" - here, we would take at least 3 kits if available (assuming some 2.5-3k price range).
If PW-5 Construction Plan Set is available anywhere, we would be interested as well

Kris Cichon - KiloCharlie

Last edited by kilocharlie : June 15th 11 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old June 15th 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_2_]

Perhaps. But why not buy a Cirrus...

Because 85 percent of US based Cirruses I looked at when I was
shopping for a glider require about 15+ grand to bring them to a semi-
decent ( of course semi-decent is a relative term) condition... Most
of them look exactly as the 40 year aged glider with minimal work or
nothing at all, done to the glider or the trailer.

Cheers,

GK

Cansdale wingtips??? Tri-Pacer Piloting 1 January 10th 07 04:39 AM
Cansdale wingtips ??? Tri-Pacer Home Built 0 January 9th 07 11:42 PM
Vetus wingtips Paul Gaines Soaring 1 November 20th 06 06:30 PM
Ventus 16.6 Wingtips dave Soaring 1 September 28th 05 10:26 AM