Pensacola Visit

Old January 19th 05, 03:19 AM
Lee Witten

Default Pensacola Visit

Hi,

I'll be passing through Pensacola in a few weeks and want to see the naval
aviation museum, so I'll be spending at least one night in the area. Does
anyone have any hotel recommendations?

--lw--
Old January 19th 05, 11:30 AM
John Miller

Lee Witten wrote:
I'll be passing through Pensacola in a few weeks and want to see the naval
aviation museum, so I'll be spending at least one night in the area. Does
anyone have any hotel recommendations?

Sorry that I'm not current for making a recommendation, but wanted to
mention that on a visit a few years ago, was dismayed to find that the
San Carlos hotel was gone. Lots of memories there.

--
John Miller
domain, @n4vu.com; username, jsm
Old January 19th 05, 12:14 PM
Nice Guy

Sure!
The "Q" is just across the street.
Plus, one of the clubs is right next to it.

Old January 19th 05, 08:31 PM
John Carrier

"Nice Guy" wrote in message
Sure!
The "Q" is just across the street.
Plus, one of the clubs is right next to it.

Well, the Q is actually about a mile away from the museum. The O'club is a
bit closer, but I doubt it's open for business just yet.

R / John

Old January 19th 05, 09:37 PM
Nice Guy

I remember the "Q" as being closer. I was there last summer, passing through
to Biloxi. I stopped overnight and was truly impressed. Seeing the AF and
S2 brought back many memories. I was looking for the AMDO plaque with my
name on it but never found it. Planned to go back the following day but had
to bail as bad weather was coming in from the West and I wanted to get to
Mississippi before it hit. Made it to the President just as it started
storming. Won a few bucks (suprise, suprise!).
The closest club, open to all, is believe to be the CPO club.

Old January 20th 05, 12:25 AM
vincent p. norris

....... wanted to mention that on a visit a few years ago, was dismayed to find that the
San Carlos hotel was gone. Lots of memories there.

It was a great disapointment to me, too! I went through Pensacola
before the Trader's opened, so the San Carlos was our hangout. It was
a very lovely place.

vince norris
Old January 20th 05, 12:30 AM
old hoodoo

Owen Miller might be able to help you as he is a volunteer there. You
can find him on the discussion board on Annals of the Brewster Buffalo.
Just click to the discussion board specifically on Bw-372, the B-239
(F2A1) that is currently in one of "restoration" areas right now so
there is quite a bit of discussion re pensacola at that site right now.

http://www.warbirdforum.com/buff.htm

then scroll down to the discussion board link at the bottom of the page

Old January 20th 05, 12:53 AM
MICHAEL OLEARY

Actually, the Navy Lodge(the main bldg, not the annex) is just about across
the street. I don't know if the Lodge was damaged or not.
Have fun,
Moe

Old January 20th 05, 01:01 AM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

....... wanted to mention that on a visit a few years ago, was dismayed to find that the
San Carlos hotel was gone. Lots of memories there.

It was a great disapointment to me, too! I went through Pensacola
before the Trader's opened, so the San Carlos was our hangout. It was
a very lovely place.

The San Carlos played a prominent role in a continuing subplot of
several of W.E.B. Griffin's books in his "The Corps" series. He
announced its closing and then its conversion into a parking lot
in footnotes at appropriate points in two of the books. Never
been to Pensacola, but damned if he didn't make the San Carlos
seem real for me.
--
OJ III
Old January 20th 05, 04:27 AM
Elmshoot

I'll be passing through Pensacola in a few weeks and want to see the naval
aviation museum, so I'll be spending at least one night in the area. Does
anyone have any hotel recommendations?

The Navy Lodge is right across the street not the Q. I stayed at the Navy Lodge
last spring, it wasn't real cheap more like an inexpensive hotel off base.
Million dollar view but don't know post Ivan. If you are eligible to use a Q
you might stop there first it is the same place for the last 40 years.
I would recomend reservations at the Navy Lodge since they might be full.
Sparky