Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

Old April 8th 11, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

Default Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno
Old April 8th 11, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:
Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

I propose you find something other than the Ipad to run your naviation
software on. The iPad screen has very poor sunlight readability. It
is too large to comfortably mount in a standard glider cockpit. Its
GPS if finicky and unreliable.... need I go on.

I have an iPad and love it, but it is worthless in a cockpit
enviornment.

Old April 8th 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

On Apr 8, 1:58*am, nimbus wrote:
Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

My Ipad has been rock solid reliable.

I've gotten Glide Path, Final Glide, and Track Log from the app
store, hope to get some experience with them as the season starts I
also use WxRadar.

My Garmin 396 in the Super Cub doesn't have a private airport
database, the Ipad came in handy last month when looking for an
private airport that I hadn't been to in a while. I used skycharts
pro, it was much easier than digging for and folding a paper sectional
from the seatback pocket, it also has airport facility directory
information.

There's an interesting soaring program on the German app store if you
can read the language.

There are a lot of cool non soaring apps for the ipad. The Android
tablet doesn't have a lot of software available to use when not
soaring.

The Ipad has replaced my laptop at work.

Jim
Old April 8th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Apr 8, 9:18*am, Jim wrote:
My Garmin 396 in the Super Cub doesn't have a private airport
database, the Ipad came in handy last month when looking for an
private airport that I hadn't been to in a while.

Jim,

It's not difficult to add a private airport database to the 396. I
have all the AZ glider turnpoints included in mine and they are color
coded as to being landable or not.

Andy
Old April 8th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 3:03*am, Guy Byars wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

I propose you find something other than the Ipad to run your naviation
software on. *The iPad screen has very poor sunlight readability. *It
is too large to comfortably mount in a standard glider cockpit. *Its
GPS if finicky and unreliable.... need I go on.

I have an iPad and love it, but it is worthless in a cockpit
enviornment.

I agree the iPad is not really the most ideal flight computer type
device for a glider cockpit, but I look at it as a nice pre and post
flight platform that is a lot easier to carry and has better battery
life than many laptops (a 17" iMac in my case which quickly gets
unwieldy). But I don't think the iPad is necessarily entirely
worthless in a cockpit, it may be possible to stuff away in the
cockpit and use as a reference source or suitable for the touring
motorglider pilot's overnight bag, etc.

My biggest wish for the iPad is a fairly feature rich iPad version of
SeeYou (i.e. the pre-post flight analysis software not SeeYou Mobile)
-- Andrej please get on this asap! There are still some issues with
connectivity (e.g. downloading flight traces from flight recorders
etc.) but I expect those to be solved over time. The "Glide Path" app
is interesting but won't help me on OLC since I need an ENL capable
flight recorder for my motorglider and really want a serial cable or
SD card solution for accessing IGC flight logs.

I'm waiting for my iPad 2 to arrive and so thinking about soaring/
aviation related apps. Luckily I have most I want already purchased on
my iPhone. So here is my list (in no particular order), I'm interested
in suggestions of other apps that people like...

Safari - Dr. Jack NAM/RUC forecasts, standard FAA/NWS/NOAA forecasts,
Wunderground, etc.
iRASP viewer -- http://www.darryl-ramm.com/iRASP my very simple iPhone
viewer which I'll eventually update for the larger iPad screen and
cache images for inflight referral).
SPOT shared page (for SPOT tracking others) - The SPOT websites does
not work great on an iPad and it would be great to have a version of
"SPOT shared page" tailored to the larger screen.
Skycharts Pro
Aeroweather Pro
AOPA Airports (an iPad specific version would be nice)
Maps
Google Earth

Other general purpose apps also make the iPad very handy when at the
gliderport or on the road...

Email
Flikr (upload photos etc.)
Friendly Facebook
Wordpress (updating blog while on the road)
iTunes (OK so you landed out, you've got something to listen to).
iBooks (PDF user & maintenance manuals for all your toys, avionics,
glider etc.) and that reading material for a landout)
Amazon Kindle (more reading material)

---

Since I already own an XM weather receiver for my Gamin 496 I'm hoping
the recently announced Baron adapter (https://www.baronservices.com/
news_pdf/MobileLink.pdf) for the iOS (and Android) devices will allow
me to connect my current receiver to my iPad. That's maybe just more
appealing to the inner geek, than necessarily practical in a glider.

Darryl
Old April 8th 11, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:
Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

DUAT is somewhat useful even though it is only an iphone app:
https://www.duat.com/

SkyCharts Pro is pretty useful but not while flying of course

I would not use the ipad for navigation, too big ... I use a Mio car
navigation system (cheap) running LK8000 (free)

Old April 8th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 9:18*am, Jim wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:58*am, nimbus wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the WxRadar pointer I just installed it on my iPhone. Nice,
but a small niggle is it does not seem to do composite high resolution
radar between two adjacent radar sites. Its composite maps only seem
low-resolution or am I missing something?

Was the German iOS soaring software the iGlide software from Butterfly
Avionics? e.g. see the English translation for the high-end iGlide Pro
version here http://goo.gl/UEs90 iGlide is really intended for the
iPhone/iPod Touch - but those screens are pretty small and not as
daylight readable as others (but probalby better than my current iPAQ
4700). The current version will just do the 2x scaling on the iPad. At
least looking at the iTunes store and the Butterfly Website http://goo.gl/ot32h
it looks like there are some nice UI ideas here. I believe Butterfly
intend to bring this software to the USA, and I've talked to some of
their staff to make sure their USA version should work like people
will probably expect - e.g. hopefully they will make it easy to load
the airspace data from http://www.justsoar.com and Lynn Alley's data
on the Soaring Turnpoint Exchange.

There is some silly handwriting software in the USA app store called
iGlide, wonder how Butterfly will deal with that. I wonder if any new
apps will be announced at Aero.

Darryl
Old April 8th 11, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Thanks for the WxRadar pointer I just installed it on my iPhone. Nice,
but a small niggle is it does not seem to do composite high resolution
radar between two adjacent radar sites. Its composite maps only seem
low-resolution or am I missing something?

There is a national high res map 3400x1600 on the pull down menu. You
can scroll and zoom that map.
I've been using the radar app shortly before push to look at the
departure area mostly for night departures at Maui.
Just need a general idea of how turbulent the climb out will be.
It loads more quickly than the prettier weather channel app.
We have a regional radar viewer on the company computer in the
planning room but not yet on the plane.

Was the German iOS soaring software the iGlide software from Butterfly
Avionics?

Yes, was thinking of using an iphone with it if it becomes available.
Glidepath would be for use in a club glider as I too need an engine
noise recorder.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Winpilot is coming up with.

I use DTC Duat before flying the cub or glider to satisfy the cross
country planning requirements.

Will be giving the flight guide IEFB app a try.

Purchased Zoomit but haven’t tried it yet.

Maybe I'm just not hip enough, for navigation I still look out the
window and occasionally use the 303 display on the 302.
The Winpilot on the PDA is mostly for the wind arrow and OLC meter as
I like to try to fly at least 500km.

Mostly what I like about Apple products is that you turn it on and it
works with minimal fuss.

Jim
Old April 11th 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Victor Newman

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:
Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

Sorry, but I have to laugh at the iPAD fanboys (please forgive me if
you're not one of them). I recently attended a FIRC at which over 20
attendees were playing with their iPADs. During that two days, I
wanted to understand what kind of Aps made these devices worth having.
One guy showed me sectionals that cost him only $80 for an annual
subscription. How much do those old paper sections cost? Another
showed me real time weather maps (which is great if you didn't think
about checking the weather before heading out to the glider port). All
in all, the impression I got was that these "suckers" bought the iPAD,
then tried to justify owning them afterwards.

Now we have a fellow here who first bought an iPAD, and is now looking
for gliding software.

Let the war begin.
Old April 11th 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Apr 11, 7:57*am, Victor Newman wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

[...]

Actually if you do fly IFR foreflight for the iPad gets you all
sectionals, low alt enroutes, and approach charts for the entire US
for a year, and that's a pretty decent deal. Granted, once the battery
dies you're SOL, but I've flown with a friends iPad with foreflight,
and it was a pretty good app to have in a power plane.

If Andrej at Naviter made a port of see you along with a serial cable
to interface with our ancient PDAs and FRs, I think he'd sell quite a
few copies.

Pete