Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

Old April 11th 11, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Victor Newman

Default Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

On Apr 11, 9:55*am, vontresc wrote:
On Apr 11, 7:57*am, Victor Newman wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

Sorry, but I have to laugh at the iPAD fanboys (please forgive me if
you're not one of them). I recently attended a FIRC at which over 20
attendees were playing with their iPADs. During that two days, I
wanted to understand what kind of Aps made these devices worth having.
One guy showed me sectionals that cost him only $80 for an annual
subscription. How much do those old paper sections cost? Another
showed me real time weather maps (which is great if you didn't think
about checking the weather before heading out to the glider port). All
in all, the impression I got was that these "suckers" bought the iPAD,
then tried to justify owning them afterwards.

Now we have a fellow here who first bought an iPAD, and is now looking
for gliding software.

Let the war begin.

Actually if you do fly IFR foreflight for the iPad gets you all
sectionals, low alt enroutes, and approach charts for the entire US
for a year, and that's a pretty decent deal. Granted, once the battery
dies you're SOL, but I've flown with a friends iPad with foreflight,
and it was a pretty good app to have in a power plane.

If Andrej at Naviter made a port of see you along with a serial cable
to interface with our ancient PDAs and FRs, I think he'd sell quite a
few copies.

Pete- Hide quoted text -

Good for IFR pilot (I guess) - if visibility in bright light isn't an
issue.

Your comment about See You supports my arguement that gadget happy
people buy iPads, then look for (or hope for) Aps which may actually
be useful.
Old April 11th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Sorry, but I have to laugh at the iPAD fanboys (please forgive me if
you're not one of them). I recently attended a FIRC at which over 20
attendees were playing with their iPADs. During that two days, I
wanted to understand what kind of Aps made these devices worth having.
One guy showed me sectionals that cost him only $80 for an annual
subscription. How much do those old paper sections cost?

Folding sectionals in the tight cockpit of a glider is a pain.

showed me real time weather maps (which is great if you didn't think
about checking the weather before heading out to the glider port).

Weather is dynamic, having a last minute look at the weather is
Important, especially during monsoon season in the southwestern U.S.
The weather radar map is invaluable.

in all, the impression I got was that these "suckers" bought the iPAD,
then tried to justify owning them afterwards.

I mostly use my Ipad for work and for reading books while waiting for
a flight, it's much easier to lug than a laptop and I don't have
to take it out of the bag when going through airport screening. The
soaring apps are a bonus.

Once you spend a day with one, it's hard to imagine how you got along
without one.

Jim

Old April 11th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

[...]

And ~$20 per year for SkyCharts Pro gets you current sections, enroute
high and low, TAF, Airport diagrams/directory, approach plates etc.
either streaming online or you can download with live METAR/TAF (if
you have connectivity). A handy reference also runs on the iPhone. I
know several glider pilots including myself who use SkyCharts or
SkyCharts Pro as handy sectional and airport references even if they
fly with paper charts.

Darryl
Old April 11th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

[...]

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

+1 on SkyCharts. A lot cheaper than the 3-5 sectionals I need every
year, and actually utilizing a sectional in the very small confines of
the Glob cockpit is very interesting, and less than ideal. Skycharts
is the REASON I got an iphone, and I don't regret it.
Oops! Topic creep. I have no iPad experience or interest.
Old April 11th 11, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

On Apr 11, 8:57*am, Victor Newman wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

Hello,

I am glider pilot and looking for a good navigation software running
on Ipad.

What would you propose?

Many thanks,
Bruno

Sorry, but I have to laugh at the iPAD fanboys (please forgive me if
you're not one of them). I recently attended a FIRC at which over 20
attendees were playing with their iPADs. During that two days, I
wanted to understand what kind of Aps made these devices worth having.

Computers typically are released before the software so this isnt much
of an argument. As time passes more apps wll be available. Why the
ipad? It runs for days on a single charge, does almost everything
would need a laptop for and you can carry it around like a small pad
of paper. Personally Im happy not to need to lug my laptop around with
me.

The problem is not the device but the cost, which has come down with
the release of the ipad2.. I picked up an ipad 1 for around $300. Oh
and I am using it to type this reply while waiting for an oil
change.

tom

Old April 11th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

[...]

Its not just that, he is criticizing something that has over 350,000
iOS applications available for it, and over 10 Billion (with a B)
total iOS app downloads. And the iPad is likely the fastest technology
adoption ever (in terms of consumer units and I suspect total
revenue). Better than the PC, VHS tape, DVD, .... Now its grinding its
way into high-end applications. I'm seeing it in medical settings,
professional pilots, ...

And I agree with Tom, for me it starts with extreme portability and
battery life (and add in mobile data access). Just replacing thousands
of pages of technical documentation with PDFs on the iPad alone
justifies it to me. And I have several other things I do with it, any
one alone would justify the purchase.

Darryl
Old April 12th 11, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 4/11/2011 1:54 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Apr 11, 6:55 am, wrote:
On Apr 11, 7:57 am, Victor wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:58 am, wrote:

[...]

You can download sectionals from the FAA web site for free.

--
Mike Schumann
Old April 12th 11, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Apr 12, 12:57*am, Victor Newman wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:58*am, nimbus wrote:

[...]

One of the great mysteries in life is how people get so worked up over
the choices that other people make, that don't actually affect them in
any way.
Old April 12th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 11, 6:55 am, *wrote:
On Apr 11, 7:57 am, Victor *wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:58 am, *wrote:

[...]

And that is very handy for technical folks but on a mobile device you
need a way to view them, manage them, compress them decompress them,
update them. Stream them dynamically or cache them. Geo reference them
etc. I could not for a second think about a $20 annual cost that gives
me all what SkyCharts Pro does. (and that $20 gives me a license that
works on both my iPhone and iPad. You can get a $10 version that does
a bit less.

Darryl
Old April 12th 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

It’s also saving my back.

Before the Ipad, I carried volumes of company manuals,
aircraft manuals, books, magazines, and
other things made of dead trees, my bag weighed a ton.

Sometimes I even play Angry Birds.

Jim