Wingtips for PW-5

Old June 9th 11, 07:32 PM
kilocharlie kilocharlie is offline
Junior Member

Default Wingtips for PW-5

Did anyone run across any information related to Wingtips design/availability for the PW-5. This is understood that it will negate PW-5 World Class categorization however shell be available to all PW-5 registered uder Experimental Cert...
I believe I SAW it only once somewhere in Australia (Website which I did not saved in my bookmarks - bummer me !!).
Solution incorporated exchange to standard and "extended" wingtips-with-winglets ..
I remember that it was mentioned to bring PW-5 L/D up to some 35-36 ...

Any info would be highly appreciated since we plan to use our PW's strictly for fun flying and all of them are "experimental" ...

Best Regards;

Kris Cichon (KiloCharlie)
Old June 9th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

--
kilocharlie

The PW5 only has wingtips. What you need is the wings to add them
Old June 9th 11, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

wrote:
Did anyone run across any information related to Wingtips
design/availability for the PW-5. This is understood that it will negate
PW-5 World Class categorization however shell be available to all PW-5
registered uder Experimental Cert...

The only PW5's I've met in person felt so lightly built that I'd be a
bit worried about whether there is enough margin for increasing the
root bending moment as you would with span extensions. Of course,
there might be enough margin for some modestly-sized winglets but even
those will increase the root bending moment somewhat.
Old June 10th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Did anyone run across any information related to Wingtips
design/availability for the PW-5. This is understood that it will negate
PW-5 World Class categorization however shell be available to all PW-5
registered uder Experimental Cert...

The only PW5's I've met in person felt so lightly built that I'd be a
bit worried about whether there is enough margin for increasing the
root bending moment as you would with span extensions. Of course,
there might be enough margin for some modestly-sized winglets but even
those will increase the root bending moment somewhat.

You can't put lipstick on a pig...

Al
Old June 10th 11, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Whether or not you can add wing extensions or winglets I cannot say -
but - I believe people on this thread are being unfair to the PW-5.
We have several in the club (private and club owned) and they are much
loved. They are a great stepping stone ship for new pilots to move
from trainers on their way to slick modern long wings. Inexpensive,
benign, a reasonable XC ship, very easy to rig, and, from what I can
see, strong. Don't be a snob.
Old June 10th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

On Jun 9, 10:52*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
Whether or not you can add wing extensions or winglets I cannot say -
but - I believe people on this thread are being unfair to the PW-5.
We have several in the club (private and club owned) and they are much
loved. *They are a great stepping stone ship for new pilots to move
from trainers on their way to slick modern long wings. *Inexpensive,
benign, a reasonable XC ship, very easy to rig, and, from what I can
see, strong. *Don't be a snob.

Not to mention, that there is no less expensive, new glider build in
the last 20 years.
Old June 10th 11, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RRK

You can't put lipstick on a pig...

Rich Fat Pig talking

Old June 10th 11, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 9, 9:39*pm, RRK wrote:
You can't put lipstick on a pig...

Rich Fat Pig talking

HAHAHA...

No we debated it to death on here PW5's suck donkey balls.
Everyone knows that...

Winglets on donkey balls wont make those fly any faster either...

FLAME SUIT ON....

Where is lenny the lurker when you need him...
Lenny...?
Lenny.... ?

Old June 10th 11, 02:47 PM
kilocharlie kilocharlie is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kuykendall View Post
wrote:
Did anyone run across any information related to Wingtips
design/availability for the PW-5. This is understood that it will negate
PW-5 World Class categorization however shell be available to all PW-5
registered uder Experimental Cert...

The only PW5's I've met in person felt so lightly built that I'd be a
bit worried about whether there is enough margin for increasing the
root bending moment as you would with span extensions. Of course,
there might be enough margin for some modestly-sized winglets but even
those will increase the root bending moment somewhat.
**** .. In a matter of fact, PW-5 is built in the "tradition" of other polish glass gliders ( Jantar, Acro etc ...) ... strong and over-engineered at best - LIKE TANK ... don't be fool by the light "feeling". I personally know a privately owned PW-5 which is loaded to the "brink" by its owner in order to get higher wing load for XC .. and it works rather well for him ..
Also, there are some tips that there were 15m PW-5 version with a retrac gear on their desks (politechnika Warszawska) ... but it never took shape since it did not comply with World Standard .. and SZD had Junior in prototype stage already ..
Anyway, in my opinion 0.7 meter wing extension with winglet would be a really nice performance enhancement for this ship. Make it swappable with original tips and you really would have a great XC trainer.
As for me ... I love it..
I am 6'4" ... and feel REALLY COMFORTABLE in PW-5 cabin ... being 210lb myself I use 4kg tail ballast for CG adjustment. In XC flight it beats anything but the modest glass costing few times over ;-) ...

Kris Cichon
Old June 10th 11, 03:07 PM
kilocharlie kilocharlie is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilocharlie View Post
Did anyone run across any information related to Wingtips design/availability for the PW-5. This is understood that it will negate PW-5 World Class categorization however shell be available to all PW-5 registered uder Experimental Cert...
I believe I SAW it only once somewhere in Australia (Website which I did not saved in my bookmarks - bummer me !!).
Solution incorporated exchange to standard and "extended" wingtips-with-winglets ..
I remember that it was mentioned to bring PW-5 L/D up to some 35-36 ...

Any info would be highly appreciated since we plan to use our PW's strictly for fun flying and all of them are "experimental" ...

Best Regards;

Kris Cichon (KiloCharlie)

Thank You guys for sending me this link (presented below) ..
Nope this is not a link I was looking for (one I remember was for PW-5 explicitly). However I see winglets building process is NOT THAT COMPLICATED AT ALL ...
We may evaluate it and design PW-5 oriented solution. Will see...
here is that link: http://gonzo-home.com/winglets.htm

However is somebody would find out about PW-5 wing extension / winglets solutions (or any other perf improvements) ... Your post / update would be highly appreciated...

Kris Cichon - KiloCharlie

Cansdale wingtips??? Tri-Pacer Piloting 1 January 10th 07 03:39 AM
Cansdale wingtips ??? Tri-Pacer Home Built 0 January 9th 07 10:42 PM
Vetus wingtips Paul Gaines Soaring 1 November 20th 06 05:30 PM
Ventus 16.6 Wingtips dave Soaring 1 September 28th 05 10:26 AM