How much play in Archer Trim Jackscrew?

Old April 19th 04, 10:26 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default How much play in Archer Trim Jackscrew?

The pitch trim jackscrew in our 74 Archer seems to have a lot of play in two
places. There is play at the bottom, where the nut is attached to the rod
for the antiservo tab, and there is play at the top, where the bearing is
linked to the attachment plate (by what appears to be some sort of clevis
yoke. This play results in
quite a bit of movement when I move the stabilator during my preflight. Any
of you A&P's know what is an acceptable amount of play, and where? After
the Alaskan Airlines DC-9 disaster, I'd hate to strip out my trim jackscrew.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney to love America

Old April 20th 04, 12:42 AM
Jay Masino

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
The pitch trim jackscrew in our 74 Archer seems to have a lot of play in two
places. There is play at the bottom, where the nut is attached to the rod
for the antiservo tab, and there is play at the top, where the bearing is
linked to the attachment plate (by what appears to be some sort of clevis
yoke. This play results in
quite a bit of movement when I move the stabilator during my preflight. Any
of you A&P's know what is an acceptable amount of play, and where? After
the Alaskan Airlines DC-9 disaster, I'd hate to strip out my trim jackscrew.

I believe that no perceivable play is acceptable. That said, I flew for
years with a little bit of play. Me and my A&P rebuilt my jackscrew this
past annual. Replaced the bushing(s), jackscrew and even one of the
rivetted support plates (which was pretty corroded). It really wasn't a
big deal. It probably only took 2-3 hours total. Just do it.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Trim tab location Jay Home Built 7 June 29th 04 07:12 PM
Ramifications of Cherokee Trim Jackcrew Failure Bob Chilcoat Home Built 23 June 9th 04 02:48 AM
1944 Aerial War Comes to Life in Radio Play Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 10:57 PM
World War II Flying 'Ace' Salutes Racial Progress, By Gerry J. Gilmore Otis Willie Military Aviation 2 February 22nd 04 03:33 AM
Lance vx. 6/300 Bridgadoon Owning 27 September 28th 03 08:20 PM