Letter to editor in SOARING Mag

Old February 6th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Letter to editor in SOARING Mag

What a terrific idea! I'll pass this along to the owner of Sundance
Aviation in Moriarty, NM, USA. I'm sure he'd appreciate an enormous
increase in revenue!

"Helge_Zembold" wrote in message

In Germany, my club uses the OLC results for weekly press releases to
the local media. Doing so, we have experienced an enormous increase in
reputation and applicants for flight training. I would imagine that it
should also be possible in the US to send articles about the recent
results in e. g. local areas like described by Herbert?

--
Helge_Zembold

Old February 7th 13, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:55:24 AM UTC-8, Helge_Zembold wrote:
In Germany, my club uses the OLC results for weekly press releases to
the local media.
Helge_Zembold

Helge
Great idea. In Minden, NV USA we have a local TV weatherman ( Mike Alger) very tuned into what Gordo and Hugh are up to and he often talks about their 2000km+ flights. Of particular OLC note was Devin's 2181km wave flight with his girlfriend in a borrowed Duo Discus, never exceeding 18,000'.
Richard Walters
Old February 11th 13, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Seriously, do you guys still read Snoring ?

The high drivel content (as the above-mentioned letter,
dubious technical articles, and limited of coverage of
modern gliding) has caused many I know (and me) to just
stop reading it.

Again, do you still read this ?
Or do you read Gliding International, S&G, and other
possibly more relevant rags ?

Just wondering...
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 11th 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
who's me?

Good lord , yes cover to cover. Everything except that nucklehead dealer ad selling electrogliders for 320,000 dollars or is it euro. I rather fly a 1-26.
But seriously , I know I am the only one who read the entire brillant article (Feb 13) by Dr. ( what-the-hell-is-his name...hold on...here it is ) Dr. Daniel Johnson.
I know that none of you sailors are smart enough to comprehend the article so I will tell you the part you must read and post somewhere on your instrument panel.
READ THE LAST 2 PARAGRAPH and post the last 2 sentences on your instrument panel.
Ladies.....his words speak reason why I manage to exceed 38,000 hours without so much a scratch or a violation. Add the great number of mentors along the way to pass on their experience and mistakes that would creat the perfect level of paranoia. Imperfection is inherent in aviation...which is why we wag our stick all the time.
I feel the understanding of Johnson words by all would reduce accidents and incidences by 86%.
"....without so much as a scratch or a violation..."so far! "".
( no cockiness here..trust me )
Amazing piece of work. He deserves the ' Lincoln ' and I shall be the nominee.

Old February 12th 13, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Monday, February 11, 2013 1:42:36 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
Seriously, do you guys still read Snoring ?

The high drivel content (as the above-mentioned letter,

dubious technical articles, and limited of coverage of

modern gliding) has caused many I know (and me) to just

stop reading it.

Again, do you still read this ?

Or do you read Gliding International, S&G, and other

possibly more relevant rags ?

Just wondering...

Best Regards, Dave

how do you know its all drivel?

i still read asap after getting it in the mail.
Old February 12th 13, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_13_]

Does anyone argue against Dave, that there is not an
unacceptably high 'drivel content' in Soaring magazine? I don't.
Counting pages in the last issue, I'd put the 'obvious drivel' at
90%. Even the few pages that seem useful, I can't help but be
uncertain about, since I feel there is no knowledgeable editorial
supervision.

Old February 12th 13, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Several of my club members have remarked that the last two issues have been the best issues they have ever seen. The issue concentrating on winch ops seemed to have struck a cord with many people.

All of the content in Soaring is provided by volunteers like yourself. If you want to see more content that interests you then please write an article and submit it for publishing.

I just finished reading Bill Schweizer's book detailing the first fifty years of SSA history. Amazingly the same issues that confront the SSA today also confronted it in 1935, 1945, 1955, etc.. The newsletter and later the magazine have been continuously improved since the days when it was a bimonthly newsletter.

When you call the content drivel and slam the articles please put a face to the author's name and remember that he or she took the time out of their daily lives to write the article, edit it, and submit it with zero compensation. I encourage you to do the same with content that you find interesting.. It may just be the article that others like you are wanting to see.

Lane
XF
Old February 12th 13, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:53:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

After being a member of SSA for 45 years, and my membership being due this month, and I don't fly anymore, this month's Soaring magazine has almost decided me not to renew.

Gary
Old February 12th 13, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I hate to hear that you might not renew. I know that you have many soaring accomplishments and records. Soaring and the SSA don't need to loose members like you who have led the way for the next generation.

from latest news letter on vulcan, hope it is of intrest to some of you if you dont get the news letter PAUL H Aviation Photos 0 January 27th 13 11:21 AM
Hemet-Ryan - Write a letter NOW! Save The Soaring Future HoUdino Soaring 2 October 29th 11 05:24 AM
Air file editor program PJ Simulators 2 March 20th 05 02:07 AM
Letter to the Editor Response Judah Piloting 19 April 22nd 04 02:38 AM
Model Editor for RFG2 gshuman Simulators 0 November 20th 03 11:12 PM