Why the cool kids do it....

Old March 8th 15, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Why the cool kids do it....

Paragliding? Snore......
Old March 9th 15, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

It's not just video production values. Shot from the groundhog's point of view, paragliding close to the ground is much more photogenic than soaring.

When my glider is close to the ground, I try to keep is as dull as possible.
Old March 10th 15, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's because some of us Old Geezers (not me, BTW) will call you an
unsafe pilot and demand you arrive at the airport at "safe" altitude.
If you were young and cool and flying a parasail, they'd sing praises
for your exciting flying.

--
Dan Marotta

Old March 10th 15, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gb

It is not just proximity to the ground, you don't need irresponsible flying to make a good video. Big part is outside camera(outside mounting or towing a camera isn't enough.) Granted it is a lot easier to put a cameraman on a beach and fly around them with a PG then to put a cameraman on every peak in the Alps and film sailplanes. Outside camera, people(preferably pretty people)not machines(they all look alike and unless you are gushing in pride of owning the same one, are boring), pretty scenery.
Great example of all three https://vimeo.com/47997406
Old March 10th 15, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Watching the trapeze scared me ****less.
Old March 10th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 10:58:25 PM UTC-7, Paul Villinski wrote:
Paragliding is the only soaring sport that's actually growing, and this pretty much explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxkXNC31Z4
Or, any other vid by Jean-Baptiste Chandelier.

Cool Kids?

Having been a free flyer myself for nearly 30 years, I would say most free flyers are the farthest from (socially) cool that one can get. It requires passion and real dedication to become really good. I will group hang gliding and paragliding together because they are more similar than they are different. Paragliding has a little more convenience and it is easier to get started but in the end it is equally hard to get to the advanced level.

Like Auto Lilienthal said "Sacrifices must be made". Nobody has ever become wealthy from the sport. Most have had to alter their lives in order to pursue the dream. Living location, personal relationships, employment, and everything else has to take a back seat to flying.

These folks have the flying gene. Only a small percentage of humans have it.. They NEED to fly.

There has been some crossover of free flyers into Soaring over the years. The ones that make the transition make exceptional soaring pilots. I would say roughly half of the competition and record setting soaring pilots in the USA come from Free Flying roots.

Here is a new video that illustrates very well what it is like.

https://freeflyers.pivotshare.com/me...e-flyers/20496

Enjoy.

R5
Old March 10th 15, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 12:58:25 AM UTC-5, Paul Villinski wrote:
Paragliding is the only soaring sport that's actually growing, and this pretty much explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxkXNC31Z4
Or, any other vid by Jean-Baptiste Chandelier.

that dude is asking for it! i'm the kind of guy that is always game for a good speedpass, but some of the stuff he does is ridiculous.
Old March 10th 15, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

that dude is asking for it! i'm the kind of guy that is always game for a good speedpass, but some of the stuff he does is ridiculous.

I agree that the Dude is pushing the envelope. The axiom that there are no old, bold pilots comes to mind. But like in all forms of aviation, progress is made in incremental stages. He didn't just go out one day and start flying like that. It took probably hundreds or perhaps thousands of hours to work up to that level of skill. Also, the conditions that are allowing him to fly comfortably that close to the terrain are perfectly smooth and just the right strength.

He has a good handle on his level of risk obviously since he has lived so far.

Don't try this at home kids.

R5
Old March 10th 15, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 11:58:25 PM UTC-6, Paul Villinski wrote:
Paragliding is the only soaring sport that's actually growing, and this pretty much explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxkXNC31Z4
Or, any other vid by Jean-Baptiste Chandelier.

I started out flying sailplanes at 18 and that started my aviation career which I still make a living at today. I use to ride my bike 20 miles one way to the glider field just to soar and I would love to jump off a dune with a PG, it is so simple and free. But today I put my ship together, that takes time and effort, I get a tow and let go, that costs money and then with my O2 in my nose like a man on life support it is up to me how far, how high and how fast I go. It never seems to get old, sitting at 15000 feet looking down or screaming across a mountain top knowing I am only separated from falling by a piece of glass and my ass. My smile goes from ear to ear when I am strapped in to my cockpit and yes sometimes my butt will pucker when I make a bad call or fly out into the open blue in hopes of some lonely thermal but in the end to me I am flying with all my skill and knowledge of the sky and it only this that keeps me from falling out of the sky.