Flying for hire Q

Old December 2nd 03, 01:44 AM
Stuart King

Default Flying for hire Q

I own my airplane.

A friend needs to go somewhere, but is not a pilot.

He can legally use my aircraft without me in it if :

1. He hires an appropriately rated commercial pilot...and

2. Pays all "direct" operating costs for the flight (gas, oil, landing
fees)...and

3. He does not pay me anything.

Yes/No/Other ?

Stuart

Old December 2nd 03, 02:19 AM
Robert Moore

"Stuart King" wrote
3. He does not pay me anything.

He can even pay you to lease the airplane.
Old December 2nd 03, 02:51 AM
ArtP

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 01:44:05 GMT, "Stuart King"
wrote:

I own my airplane.

A friend needs to go somewhere, but is not a pilot.

He can legally use my aircraft without me in it if :

1. He hires an appropriately rated commercial pilot...and

2. Pays all "direct" operating costs for the flight (gas, oil, landing
fees)...and

3. He does not pay me anything.

Yes/No/Other ?

Stuart

To answer your follow up question, he cannot pay you to fly it for him
nor can you fly it for free if he pays you to lease it. Further based
upon an FAA decision (involving flying a mechanic for an ambulance
service) you cannot lease it for free and fly it for free if he needs
it for his business.

Old December 2nd 03, 11:19 AM
Stuart King

RM,
I believe this would be illegal, it would make the plane a "rental" and
require part 135 maintenance..?
Stuart

. 6...

Old December 2nd 03, 01:04 PM
Robert Moore

"Stuart King" wrote
I believe this would be illegal, it would make the plane a
"rental" and require part 135 maintenance..?

Many corporations lease their aircraft, hire their own pilots
and operate under Part 91. Requires a lease agreement.

Bob Moore
Old December 2nd 03, 02:17 PM
Ron Natalie

"Stuart King" wrote in message . com...

1. He hires an appropriately rated commercial pilot...and

2. Pays all "direct" operating costs for the flight (gas, oil, landing
fees)...and

3. He does not pay me anything.

Yes. Actually, it doesn't matter if he pays you or not. As long as you
do not participate in providing or locating the pilot.

However, you better be sure your insurance compnay is happy with such
an arrangement.

Old December 2nd 03, 02:18 PM
Ron Natalie

"Stuart King" wrote in message . com...
RM,
I believe this would be illegal, it would make the plane a "rental" and
require part 135 maintenance..?

There's no rules about rentals.
Part 135 refers to commercial operation, that is, where you provide both the pilot
and the airplane.

Old December 2nd 03, 02:19 PM
Ron Natalie

"ArtP" wrote in message ...

To answer your follow up question, he cannot pay you to fly it for him
nor can you fly it for free if he pays you to lease it. Further based
upon an FAA decision (involving flying a mechanic for an ambulance
service) you cannot lease it for free and fly it for free if he needs
it for his business.

Correct, any time you have the same entity arranging for both the aircraft
and the pilot, it is most likely a commercial operation.

Old December 2nd 03, 02:35 PM
James M. Knox

"Stuart King" wrote in
. com:

I believe this would be illegal, it would make the plane a "rental" and
require part 135 maintenance..?

Renting a plane is just that... an equipment rental. No part 135 is
involved. For the pilot to fly it the plane must be airworthy, which
includes an annual, but no 100 hour inspection is required.

"Stuart King" wrote
3. He does not pay me anything.

He can even pay you to lease the airplane.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old December 6th 03, 07:56 AM
Flighthawk

You are going to run into some gray legal areas here. In the past some
flights like this have been construed by the FAA as part 135 flights,
especially if your non-flying friend decides to take another passenger along
on the flight who thinks its a charter. The best thing to do is check with
your insurance company to make sure. They will make sure everything fits
right. Let us know what they say.

PD