currency for contests

Old May 27th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default currency for contests

I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad
Old May 27th 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

The general rule of thumb is having your Silver Badge.
Old May 27th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 27, 1:27*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

The general rule of thumb is having your Silver Badge.

ok, silver badge................hypothetical: I got my silver badge 3
years ago, going to fly a contest in a few weeks, but havn't flown
more than 5 hours so far this year. Am I "safe"?

Brad
Old May 27th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

The general rule of thumb is having your Silver Badge.

ok, silver badge................hypothetical: I got my silver badge 3
years ago, going to fly a contest in a few weeks, but havn't flown
more than 5 hours so far this year. Am I "safe"?

Brad

You need to be well enough in practive to fly the glider automatically
and instinctively. Flyin in you first (or first few) contest
without having your skills up is quite risky. There is enough new and
different about contests to use up most of your extra brain power.
Now go out and practice!
And be ready to have fun.
Make sure you find a mentor.
Enough preaching
Good luck
UH
Old May 27th 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

I'm guessing that the prudent thing to do is to stay high and plan on
trying to finish instead of trying to be competitive, but I don't fly
contests. That's the way it worked for sailboat racing for beginners.

Old May 28th 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 27, 12:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

It all depends on your experience level. Quite often I have few or no
flights before my first club contest flight of the season and the ASA
series is as competitive as many regionals. However you need to be
completely comfortable with your equipment and to have no concerns at
all about flying cross country before you mix it up with other pilots
who are intending to win the day.

It really isn't possible to answer your question without knowing what
contest experience you had in previous seasons and what contest you
were intending to fly first this season. However a contest need not
have risks any greater than you choose to make them. You don't have to
be in the 30 glider start gaggle and you don't have to go out on task
if you don't like the conditions. Set a caution level consistent with
your total and recent experience.

I'm reminded of a truism I heard from Paul Dickerson (19) many years
ago - A good contest is one where you leave with as many pieces as you
started.

Andy (GY)
Old May 28th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

I can't help but think you are setting yourself up for a big
frustrating week and if you are asking us for our opionion if you are
safe, I must refer to page 463 of my Psychiatry for Sailplane Racers
manual which reads , " if you are looking for an excuse not to race,
or do not feel you are ready to race, then ask all a question in which
the answer is already known...".
I used the excuse that the weather was going to suck (they flew 6 out
of 6 days) and didn't go when the truth was my head wasn't in the
right place (now there's an opening for a UH shot if ever).
Racing is addictive and nothing in this world that can be compared to
it. It is the only place where one can experience WHAT the great lift-
engine has to offer and what amazing talent can be observed finessing
it to the maximum. But, you have to be out on course.
Your first race is the most important. You must be totally prepared.
Having your flying skills sharp is one of several areas that must be
ready. Lives depend on it.
Maybe you are ready, got the jitters about your first race. Taking
that first step. **** on that, get out on course and join the magic.
Just don't follow TA, he's in a slump.
Old May 28th 11, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

My two cents on this:
If you're new to contests, general preparation is the more important
issue. Can you thermal well, and fly cross country safely? Can you
assemble the glider, trailer if need be, and follow the start, finish,
etc. procedures? Are you ready to fly in a gaggle? Have you (God
forbid) read the rules and the pilot's guide?
If this is in place, lots of recent experien

Nobody is ever ready
Old May 28th 11, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

Somehow the post got sent in midstream...

If this is in place, lots of recent experience while useful isn't all
that critical. Go for the practice days.

If this is not in place, 50 hours of thermaling around in a 45 degree
cone over your local airport by yourself is not going to be very
helpful.

Second, when a bit rusty, you react appropriately by setting more
conservative personal limits. Commit to a landing at 1500' not at
1000' (and certainly not at 250 feet!). Decide simply to abandon the
task or not fly if weather is too challenging. Leave big gaggles,
especially before the start. Do not try low and slow final glides.

How safe you are in this sport is entirely a question of where you set
those personal limits and how well you adhere to them.

So, go to that contest already! Evaluate your ability to handle
situations objectively, and don't do things you don't feel ready for.
Use the practice days wisely. Have fun!

John Cochrane
BB
Old May 28th 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
4Z[_2_]

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

The general rule of thumb is having your Silver Badge.

ok, silver badge................hypothetical: I got my silver badge 3
years ago, going to fly a contest in a few weeks, but havn't flown
more than 5 hours so far this year. Am I "safe"?

Brad

Carl Herold used to say 5 XC flights before a contest if you are
experienced, 10 flights if you are less experienced. So say you have
more than 100 XC flights under your belt, then 5 flights would be
about 20 hours- lots of opportunities to thermal, judge glides, and
make plenty of decisions. I've followed this ever since he told me
this.

Chad
4Z

Contests the end-all? Morgans[_2_] Soaring 29 May 21st 10 11:10 PM
Participating in Contests MickiMinner Soaring 16 October 2nd 08 02:26 AM
GPS interference and contests Bill Daniels Soaring 25 January 25th 08 05:57 AM
sectionals for contests BB Soaring 17 January 23rd 07 06:54 PM
ideas for fun contests at fly-ins Hoot Piloting 9 April 30th 04 10:58 AM