Bad Airplane Buying Experience Last Night

Old February 28th 04, 02:02 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:02:42 -0800, MRQB wrote:

Q: Then how did you make photo copies if the original logs were destroyed
with water

It could also be how I do it. I scan my logs, so if I add oil I'll scan
the log and add it to the electronic pdf version I keep. If my logs are
so unlucky as to be lost, I have them all, yellow tags, logs, stc's, W&B,
etc all in my pdf file.

Just because mine could be a copy does not mean I copied them and got rid
of the originals later. I'm always up to date on the scanned logs just in
case.

Old February 28th 04, 01:38 PM
MRQB

There were logs missing prior to new fabric being put on, Logs were missing
prior to any repairs, once or twice understandable but every time no way. No
compression check on last 2 annuals lots of info missing serial #'s & IA #'s
scratched out ect. I could understand making a back up copies but changing &
erasing things. The deal gave me a bad feeling I have looked at many
airplanes logs over the last to months these were the worst I have ever seen
something was just not right so I walked.

news

Old February 28th 04, 01:39 PM
MRQB

No!! he got violent and attacked me when I told him that I was not going to
buy his airplane. It was almost a fist fight he grabbed me and attempted to
strike me with his fist. But I talked him down instead of fighting in front
of my 7 year old son.

"Brad Z" wrote in message
I'm confused...you filed an assault report for photocopied logs? Why not
just walk?

"MRQB" wrote in message
Don't deal with Jolly Dawson from Aurora, OR. He is rude

&
violent and is trying to sell a Piper Tri-Pacer with Photo copied logs
things scratched out, pages missing, & data plates that look modified.

A police report for assault was filed against Jolly Dawson he got

extremely
upset & violent when I told him I did not want to buy the airplane and

that
maybe he should be more polite to prospective buyers. Threats by made

from
Jolly Dawson were recorded by a 911 operator in Marion County, Oregon

Funniest thing I have herd yet while looking at an airplane's

Q: why are all the logs photo copies
A: The original logs were destroyed by water

Q: Then how did you make photo copies if the original logs were

destroyed
with water
A: No Answer, Just rude mumbling's how its not important to have the
original logs

Old February 29th 04, 12:42 AM
CriticalMass

Matthew P. Cummings wrote:

I scan my logs, so if I add oil I'll scan
the log and add it to the electronic pdf version I keep. If my logs are
so unlucky as to be lost, I have them all, yellow tags, logs, stc's, W&B,
etc all in my pdf file.

Probably just me, but that's obsessive-compulsive, IMO.

Old February 29th 04, 02:51 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:42:18 -0600, CriticalMass wrote:

Probably just me, but that's obsessive-compulsive, IMO.

I don't know. Suppose the mechanic had a fire that destroyed his shop and
your logs were there and the plane survived. Suppose your house burned,
or suppose somehow something went south. Now you have a plane with no
logs, what do you suppose that's going to do to it's value?

Everybody I know copies their logs, I do the same thing but on computer so
that I can easily reproduce them or keep them offsite. I don't think the
tags are as important, but since it doesn't take very long to line them up
and scan them, why not?

By the way, by using the computer I can bookmark where each major job was
done, so I can tell quickly when the major was, vacuum pump replaced, etc
without spending time searching through the logs. I merely click on my
STC column for example, the EAA stc and can tell when it was applied to
the airframe and engine. Things like that are nice.

In the end, it's an insurance policy that makes maintenance easier.

Old February 29th 04, 08:58 AM
S Green

[...]

If I was a buyer then I would be interested in Matt's plane. Anyone who
takes that amount of care about his logs probably takes as much care of the
plane.

Good on you Matt

Old February 29th 04, 01:43 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:58:23 +0000, S Green wrote:

If I was a buyer then I would be interested in Matt's plane. Anyone who

That's the other benefit if I ever decided to sell it, most sellers want
to see the logs and I have it in a form that most could read. I could
email them the logs and they could see them that day, add digital photo's
with it and they have a fairly complete package quickly, and for me little
expense because the logs don't have to be copied page by page for who
knows how many people. For those without a computer I could print it,
again it wouldn't take as long as copying and would save me money, so
there's another large benefit of scanning your logs.