Noise (was A question only a newbie would ask)

Old August 6th 04, 12:07 PM
David Megginson

Default Noise (was A question only a newbie would ask)

John T wrote:

The majority of the noise generated by piston planes isn't engine noise, but
propeller noise.

The thing that gets me are the dildos^H^H^H^H^H^Hfellow pilots with CS props
who set them to maximum RPM during approach. That makes their planes more
than twice as loud as the fixed-pitch planes (who are around 1500 rpm on
approach), and while I love hearing all the small planes flying over my
house, I'm worried that my neighbours might someday lose their goodwill and
patience.

I have no issue with max RPM on takeoff, of course. Most planes climb more
steeply than they approach, so the noise doesn't last long in any case.

All the best,

David
Old August 6th 04, 02:09 PM
Jim Weir

The word "decibel" has the most interesting etymology.

Jim

"Jay Honeck"

-heard Mary fly over, and it makes a huge difference in decibel level.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 7th 04, 09:23 AM
Judah

"Bob Gardner" wrote in
:

snip

A very knowledgeable FAA engineer/test pilot told me that he would not
do a single-engine go-around in anything smaller than a KingAir...and
he "wrote the book" on zero-sideslip.

What does your friend do if he's in a single and tower says, "Go Around!" ?
Old August 9th 04, 02:54 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I have learned to hide when the AeroShell T-6 team takes off to do their
demos. I know RPM is HP, but man, how about turning the RPM back just a

few
hundred. They are painful to listen to, even verging on nauseating!

(IMHO)

Funny -- I LOVE the way those T-6s roar past!

They've got 'em set up specifically to make lots of noise and smoke -- in
the finest airshow tradition...

Roar = good. Screech of prop tips = painful!

Paul (standing near the threshold at an airshow yesterday
when four T-6s put on max power to take off)

Old August 9th 04, 04:36 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:54:00 +0100, "Paul Sengupta"
wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I have learned to hide when the AeroShell T-6 team takes off to do their
demos. I know RPM is HP, but man, how about turning the RPM back just a

few
hundred. They are painful to listen to, even verging on nauseating!

(IMHO)

Funny -- I LOVE the way those T-6s roar past!

They've got 'em set up specifically to make lots of noise and smoke -- in
the finest airshow tradition...

Roar = good. Screech of prop tips = painful!

Never heard prop tips screech. The T-6 gives you two sonic booms for
every revolution. OTOH so does a Bonanza with a 2-blade prop.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old August 9th 04, 04:39 PM
C J Campbell

wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I have learned to hide when the AeroShell T-6 team takes off to do

their
demos. I know RPM is HP, but man, how about turning the RPM back

just a
few
hundred. They are painful to listen to, even verging on nauseating!
(IMHO)

Funny -- I LOVE the way those T-6s roar past!

They've got 'em set up specifically to make lots of noise and smoke --

in
the finest airshow tradition...

Roar = good. Screech of prop tips = painful!

Never heard prop tips screech.

You mean you did not install deer whistles on your prop tips?