A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Is SKEW-T still important to soaring pilots ?

Old March 3rd 16, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Is SKEW-T still important to soaring pilots ?

WindyTy is very "pretty", and it gives a great synoptic view of winds and the associated system. In fact, the UI is probably as good/better than anything out there for wind depiction over time. But, it's limited by the fact that the underlying model is only the GFS. Hopefully Walt Rogers will chime in here, but if someone ever wanted to do a project to create the ultimate forecasting tool for gliding, I think it would include meso-scale visualizations (like WindyTy, Dr.Jack) with point-forecast SkewT and related parcel analysis across models (like Bufkit or Bill Moninger's parcel analysis tools) as a point-and-click drill down. The way I think about forecasting for gliding is:

- Big picture/synoptic. Do I even need to dig deeper (along the lines of Doc's Weather forecasting rock if you recall: Rock is wet - it's raining, Can't see rock - it's snowing, Rock is gone -it's windy). Once I know whether it's worthwhile then...

- Meso-scale visualizations. I use Dr. Jack (NAM), HRRR, etc. to get a more detailed picture (lift strength and heights, clouds/cloudbase,wind direction and strength which quadrants look better, etc.)

- Point analysis: If I'm serious about the day, I look at Bufkit or just use the Moninger (Rucsoundings) sight to see what the underlying SkewT looks like, often comparing models. That last bit is important, as we are seeing more and more days here in the east where the models (GFS, NAM, RAP, HRRR) are diverging in one or more critical parameter. So, being able to compare and check for consistency also help instill confidence in the forecast.

Long answer to a short question.

p3
Old March 3rd 16, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Is SKEW-T still important to soaring pilots ?

On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 10:27:53 -0800, Papa3 wrote:

Long answer to a short question.

This is about the best 'quick looks' tool I've used:

http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/RASPt...SPtableGM.html

This is a viewer for the UK RASP and also shows Predicted SkewT*LogP
Sounding Charts. Both RASP parameter maps and Skew T charts can be
examined on an hourly basis during daylight for today and to following 5
days, but I think its based on GFS forecasts.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |