ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests.

Old February 4th 19, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:22:17 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 8:41:53 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:06:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
...When towing behind Keith E.'s 182 at Parowan my PFLarm sounded a new and totally annoying alarm. It turned out to be the ADS-B out signal from that towplane. While I could silence the alarm by pushing the appropriate button, it came back after a minute or so. How are we going to deal with that when in a busy thermal with 10 other ADS-B out transmitting gliders?

Doesn't Powerflarm filter out the spurious ADS-B proximity warnings when BOTH aircraft have Powerflarm (and 1+ aircraft have ADS-B-out)?

Yes, that would require PowerFLARM in the tow plane. ADS-B alone is quite noisy.
Jim

Exactly. And been mentioned on r.a.s. in the past. PowerFLARM Out in the towplane if properly set up tells the other PowerFLARM units in the glider that the target is a towplane (no easy way to tell that over ADS-B), and a PowerFLARM equipped glider will deduplicate the target and use FLARM communicated data that provides better target flight path data. Not an issue for normal ADS-B GA traffic but other gliders and towplanes who will be flying close to PowerFLARM equipped gliders..... the implicit expectation is they have PowerFLARM Out.... which we don't seem to be actually installing in towplanes much in the USA. Folks putting ADS-B Out in a towplane for 2020 compliance reasons should be aware of this and thinking about adding PowerFLARM if they are towing lots of PowerFLARM equipped gliders.

Old February 4th 19, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I made a request to LXNAV to add an option to silence the ADSB alarm for 10 minutes which is the length of a typical tow. If others will make such request they will probably consider this.

Ramy
Old February 5th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 12:26:53 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I made a request to LXNAV to add an option to silence the ADSB alarm for 10 minutes which is the length of a typical tow. If others will make such request they will probably consider this.

Ramy

Are you asking them to silence all ADS-B alarms for 10 minutes, or just the N number of the tow plane? Silencing all alarms is a VERY bad idea, as there could be other GA aircraft in the area that could be a threat to the tow. A classic example is the midair over Boulder a number of years ago where a Cirrus hit a glider and/or aircraft during a tow.
Old February 5th 19, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Powerflarm provides two type of alerts: traffic alert and collision alarm. The collision alarm is the most distracting one. I am asking them for a 10 minutes silence of the collision alalrm only. Ideally it would be for a particular aircraft but this would probably be too complicated to implement, so a 10 minutes silence is a good enough compromise in my opinion unless someone has other suggestions that can be implemented.

Ramy
Old February 5th 19, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 7:18:57 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
Powerflarm provides two type of alerts: traffic alert and collision alarm.. The collision alarm is the most distracting one. I am asking them for a 10 minutes silence of the collision alalrm only. Ideally it would be for a particular aircraft but this would probably be too complicated to implement, so a 10 minutes silence is a good enough compromise in my opinion unless someone has other suggestions that can be implemented.

Ramy

Ten minutes is a pretty good start! I'd prefer "permanently disable".
Towplane or other glider ADS-B (without PowerFLARM) audible alarms seem to me like the many hotel fire alarms that have gone off at 2am.
Jim
Old February 5th 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Can't you just turn down the volume during the tow?Â* You shouldn't be
looking inside too much at that time, anyway.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 5th 19, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

Ramy, Thank you for this description. The ADS-B alarm is annoying on tow. My understanding is the warning is a result of an output from PowerFlarm to a display like LXNAV FlarmView or similar. Its the display that is doing audio annoyance. On FlarmView there is a 3 minute silence with a button push but I find when the alarm is sounding and the tug is identified as the target, I stop looking at the alarm as a real threat. The ten minute collision mute would be an improvement. Good idea to bring this up with the display manufacturers.

Old February 6th 19, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Dan, lowering the volume is an option but increase the chance you will forget to turn the volume back up. Also not all powerflarm displays have simple volume knob, some requires to go to the menu to reduce the volume.

Ramy
Old February 6th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, I guess it's a problem that I'm not very familiar with, then. I've
get maybe two or three audio warnings per year and am always surprised
and gratified to hear them.Â* I suppose that's the difference between
flying around Moriarty and Reno.

I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Old February 10th 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 5:43:03 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
What will the rules committee will have to say now that we can see ADS-B equiped gliders and their data on PowerFlarm at 20 to 30 NM.

Richard

The LX90xx manual describes the FLARM 'Dismiss Time' software button as programmable from 0 to 120 seconds. I'm not sure where this is programmed, but the default appears to be 1 minute. It would be nice if LX could add a 10 min Dismiss Time button; one that you could deselect would be a bonus.

Charlie

FES in Contests MNLou Soaring 43 November 3rd 14 04:18 PM
currency for contests Brad[_2_] Soaring 10 June 1st 11 06:49 AM
Contests the end-all? Morgans[_2_] Soaring 29 May 21st 10 11:10 PM
GPS interference and contests Bill Daniels Soaring 25 January 25th 08 06:57 AM
ideas for fun contests at fly-ins Hoot Piloting 9 April 30th 04 10:58 AM