A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Covid Vaccine And Glider Events ?

Old December 14th 20, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Covid Vaccine And Glider Events ?

As the distribution of the vaccine begins what will be the impact on the soaring community and events such as contest and club activity. I for one will be very happy to get the vaccine, I will roll the dice and look at the benefits vs the uncertainty. Would you be more prone to attend an event knowing those attending were vaccinated? Should events require that participants require vaccinations prior to participation? Bob
Old December 14th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

wrote on 12/14/2020 3:01 PM:
As the distribution of the vaccine begins what will be the impact on the soaring community and events such as contest and club activity. I for one will be very happy to get the vaccine, I will roll the dice and look at the benefits vs the uncertainty. Would you be more prone to attend an event knowing those attending were vaccinated? Should events require that participants require vaccinations prior to participation? Bob

I think we should wait until March before trying to make any decisions, as we have little idea
right now of how successful we will be at reducing the spread of the disease. We'll know a lot
more about the risk of attending events by then.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old December 14th 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

On 12/14/20 4:01 PM, wrote:

The FAA recently stated that pilots and controllers can take the
vaccine. The only restriction is to self ground for 48 hours after
receiving the shot. The FAA is hard to convince so I would take that as
a good sign.

--
Dan
5J
Old December 15th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 3:01:27 PM UTC-8, wrote:

Much of this is out of our control and will be decided by individual state governors. My experience with our governor, Inslee, is that they can be very capricious and make decisions on a whim. In any case, "herd" immunity levels probably won't be reached by the time contest season starts, and may not be reached until after the end of the soaring season. You will probably have less trouble in Florida.

Tom
Old December 15th 20, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

We had two soaring camps at Cowley Alberta in early August and October with about 30 attendees each. With ten days each camp, we had 600 person days of exposure.

The principal precaution was maintaining 2m distance between individuals. Masks were worn in two seaters and shared oxygen masks and cannulas were sanitized.

Being out in the breeze tilted the odds in our favor.

Result: NO Covid19 cases reported in the participants.
Old December 15th 20, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 14, 2020 at 9:14:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
We had two soaring camps at Cowley Alberta in early August and October with about 30 attendees each. With ten days each camp, we had 600 person days of exposure.

The principal precaution was maintaining 2m distance between individuals. Masks were worn in two seaters and shared oxygen masks and cannulas were sanitized.

Our club held the annual meeting last Saturday, we also practiced social distancing and mask, no problems are expected. I did read the report from the CDC about transmission venues, very interesting. Social gatherings and family transmission were the two highest areas of known transmission.
Maybe there should be some type of vaccination card that confirms one vaccination status for such required events, oh, that will never work, we cannot even get voter registration cards in this country. Stay safe, enjoy your sailplane activity and come on down to Vero Beach for a great winter and spring flying season. Installing a new engine in the Towpecker, should be flying next week. Bob
Old December 15th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

On 12/15/20 5:23 AM, wrote:

Our club held the annual meeting last Saturday, we also practiced social distancing and mask, no problems are expected. I did read the report from the CDC about transmission venues, very interesting. Social gatherings and family transmission were the two highest areas of known transmission.
Maybe there should be some type of vaccination card that confirms one vaccination status for such required events, oh, that will never work, we cannot even get voter registration cards in this country. Stay safe, enjoy your sailplane activity and come on down to Vero Beach for a great winter and spring flying season. Installing a new engine in the Towpecker, should be flying next week. Bob

Well, if I understand correctly, the vaccine will protect ME from
getting the virus from YOU. It won't protect YOU against ME passing it
on to YOU. So it would appear that we'll still have to take precautions
against passing it on to others should we pick it up.

Clear as mud?

--
Dan
5J
Old December 15th 20, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 11:50:51 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:

Clear as mud?

--
Dan
5J

Only if you don't get it too, right ?
Old December 15th 20, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

On 12/15/20 11:51 AM, wrote:

Clear as mud?

--
Dan
5J

I guess. Assuming the vaccine works for me and I pick up the virus, I
likely won't get sick but will still be carrying the virus until it
becomes ineffective. Fortunately I live in the country and all my
aircraft have engines so I can fly whenever I want without help from others.

Now if this damned snow would just go away...

--
Dan
5J
Old December 15th 20, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 2:38:36 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/15/20 11:51 AM, wrote:

Clear as mud?

--
Dan
5J

I guess. Assuming the vaccine works for me and I pick up the virus, I
likely won't get sick but will still be carrying the virus until it
becomes ineffective. Fortunately I live in the country and all my
aircraft have engines so I can fly whenever I want without help from others.

Now if this damned snow would just go away...

--
Dan
5J

Dan, there you go again, talking that motorglider language. 83 degrees and beautiful here, just finished mowing my runway. Time now for a rum and coke and practice my social distancing on the outside patio. Soon as I get the new engine in the Pawnee, which should be this weekend, we will be in the air again with our non motor gliders. Bob