Fujitsu LT C-500 as EFB questions...

Old October 13th 03, 08:34 AM
greg

Default Fujitsu LT C-500 as EFB questions...

I'm looking for comments and suggestions specifically about using a
Fujitsu LT C-500 as a backup tool for approach plates using Jeppview
with Flightdeck.

Although I'll always be printing my plates, would it really be
possible to use this thing in a pinch?

Has anyone tried a USB GPS with one of these to get position overlay
on approaches and enroute?

Has anyone figured out an acceptable, and economical way to yoke mount
these?

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to power it off the
airplane electrical system. In most cases it would be in an older
cessna with only the 28V DC lighter available for power.

I thought about getting an AC inverter rated for 24V-28V input like
the KV-150T on this webpage: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-25.html.
Can anyone think of any problems with that idea? Other than ending up
with lots of cables... It seems alot harder to find an adapter to
adapt directly from the 28V DC outlet to the back of the laptop.

thanks for any thoughts,
greg
Old October 14th 03, 03:29 AM
Nathan Young

(greg) wrote in message . com...
I'm looking for comments and suggestions specifically about using a
Fujitsu LT C-500 as a backup tool for approach plates using Jeppview
with Flightdeck.

snip
I'm also trying to figure out the best way to power it off the
airplane electrical system. In most cases it would be in an older
cessna with only the 28V DC lighter available for power.

I thought about getting an AC inverter rated for 24V-28V input like
the KV-150T on this webpage:
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-25.html.
Can anyone think of any problems with that idea? Other than ending up
with lots of cables... It seems alot harder to find an adapter to
adapt directly from the 28V DC outlet to the back of the laptop.

I would not use the AC inverter. AC inverters are often poorly
designed and hency quite noisy (in the electrical sense), so they may
cause problems with your radios. Also, as you point out - there are
more cables, which is always a hassle in the cabin.

The good news is the Fujitsu PC really operates from a DC voltage. A
DC-DC regulator/converter should be available that will bring the
aircraft 28V on the cigarette lighter to the 12,14, or 16V required by
most laptops.

-Nathan
Old October 15th 03, 04:49 PM
greg

"Jon Carlson" wrote in message news:
I have a Fujitsu Stylistic LT P-600, and the lighter adapter it came
with will accept 28V input (or 12V input). You may want to check the
default one for the C-500 to see whether it'll work as is.

The Auto/Air adapter that Fujitsu offers for the C-500 & P-600 is the
same part (FPCAA02) and is only rated for 12-16V input according to
their specifications. I'd be curious to know what part number your
adapter is, and what specs might be printed on it, because their
website definitely suggests they don't support 28V in.

Thanks for your time!
greg

Old October 25th 03, 02:21 AM
greg

Thanks- I just found a company called Lind Electronics that
specializes in power adapters for electronic devices (mainly laptops)
that accept a wide range (12-32V DC) of input automatically and
convert it for laptop power...

I'd still be curious who made yours though...

greg

"Jon Carlson" wrote in message news:haqjb.783502
I'll try to remember to jot that down when I am at the airplane.

-Jon C.

m...

Old November 2nd 03, 06:06 AM
Jon Carlson

Well, I looked at it when I was last at the hangar and indeed it's the
Fujitsu car adapter, model number I didn't write down (DOH! - sorry),
and it says it'll take 12-24V input. Looks to be the "standard"
fujitsu cigarette lighter adapter.

BTW, I strongly suspect they got a typo on the FPCAA02 input specs on
their web site - the output needs to be 16V, so I suspect they accept
12-28V input and convert it to 16V output. No "Airline" adapter would
accept input that wasn't 28V.

-Jon C.

I'm pretty sure it's just the
"greg" wrote in message
om...
Thanks- I just found a company called Lind Electronics that
specializes in power adapters for electronic devices (mainly

laptops)
that accept a wide range (12-32V DC) of input automatically and
convert it for laptop power...

I'd still be curious who made yours though...

greg

"Jon Carlson" wrote in message news:haqjb.783502
I'll try to remember to jot that down when I am at the airplane.

-Jon C.

m...

Old November 3rd 03, 08:03 AM
greg

Wow! I'm gonna give the stock adapter a shot in the airplane. I really
appreciate your confirmation on that.

Thanks for your time!!
greg