Old April 3rd 05, 02:25 PM
Thomas Schoene

Actually I did not have an ID on the pic from Davis Monthan, rather my
father in law (a engineer now retired) worked on those engines and
volunteered the info. He felt sure that was it type but keep in mind
he does not see "airframes" rather he see's engine type. The
confusing thing is he felt sure that only "5 or 6" of this type were
ever built. We will have to have another extended sit down. Thanks
for your comments.

Assume you're talking about this picture (and for the future, specific links
would be a lot more useful than hoping someone remembered the blog address
in an old post).:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/172/3...20QUANTICO.jpg

If so, it's a CH-53D. This one is painted up in HMX-1 colors but the lack
of a "white top" shows it was a presidental support helo, not an actual VIP
transport. That means this was probably never Marine One, since it likely
never carried the President.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872