Old January 3rd 04, 02:29 AM
Chris Wertman

Default Help ! SMALL Radial engine

Ok, here goes...

About 2 years ago I had a chance to buy some small radial engines at a
car show, there were perhaps 25-36 inches accross, I cant remeber, I
had a chance to buy em at $40 each and there were 10 or so in various
states of disrepair, but since I had spent all my money alloted by the
wife and I had no conciveable use for them I forgot about it. They
were I belive WWII vintage used to power either compressors or
generators. I want to say they were in the 20-40 HP range (very fuzzy
memory except what they looked like being radials and all) I'm pretty
sure they were 5 cylinders.

Now I have a project I absolutley need one for, but I cant find any
info on what they were to start looking.

Any info posted would be greatly appreciated, manufacturer(s), tech
specs, where to find one (hey maybe you've got one collecting dust) I
would like a few of the same or close (parts interchange) model.

I apologize for the cross posting but these are the only NG's I
thought I may find info in.

Also, since I have never had a radial, started, run or anything other
than looked at one, I am curious, the project I am building is not an
aircraft so no need to worry about me strappin this on the back of my
bensen and ending up splattered (I had a friend I sold an old solar
APU turbine, he was worried I may try to do exactly that with the
turbine I would like to mount the engine parallel to the frame of
the vehicle, the problem is that it will reduce the airflow to the
back 2 cylinders, since this engine I am looking for was built for
stationary use is this going to be a problem ? I can if I have to
mount it perpindiculay (as a radial would be on a plane) but would
preffer not to, If I have to does anyone have any idea of the torque
from the reciprocating mass from this type of engine (whatever it is)

Something in my memory keeps wanting to say it was part of an APU for
a WWII vintage U.S. bomber, it was most certainly of U.S. manufacture.

Many Thanks

Chris Wertman