Old July 26th 03, 11:54 PM
B2431

I'm proud that you wore the uniform, sweetheart,
and I'm glad I never had to go through what you did.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

Oustanding post. The wannabees sure are getting tiresome.

Arthur Kramer

Whaaatever...just seems that you guys are looking at short term
gain at the expense of long term. If you want to degrade the
'value' of your medals then why should I care?...fill yer
boots...
--

-Gord.

I agree with all three of you. Those who were never there will never understand
that a combat atta boy medal for service without valour is needed.

Gord is also correct in that we do hand out way too many decorations on the
whole. I won't address specific other than to say look at the achievment and
commendation medals as they are shovelled out now versus 20 years ago.

There is one ribbon issued that defies logic. Whether you go through basic,
OSC, OTS, ROTC, the li'l 2 week orientation for medical/legal officers etc you
get a cute li'l bitty ribbon that says you are authorized to wear the uniform.

I find it mildy amusing that a U.S.A.F. serviceman,non flying, enlisted or
officer, is likely to have more confetti on his chest after 4 years man who
served in the infantry in combat during WW2 in the U.S.
Army.

On another subject if the U.S. Army had been at Rorke's Drift instead of the
Brits the commander would have got the MOH, the officers and a few enlisted
would have got the silver star and some of the rest would have got the bronze
star. IIRC there were 11 VCs awarded. Most of those went to the enlisteds.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired