Old August 17th 04, 07:32 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On 17 Aug 2004 03:19:31 GMT, ost (Ditch) wrote:

Do you know which T-6s/SNJs were "lost"? I saw reference to the
"yellow" one, but was wondering which the other one was....

I had some fun in the polished one (SNJ-6) a couple of years ago.

Bela P. Havasreti

John, do you have any idea why those a/c weren't flown out before the
storm arrived?

From what I have been told, the storm was supposed to track up the west coast
of FL and not be a problem for the Central FL area. The forcast winds were
supposed to peak out around 50-60 kts.
The hangar that the airplanes were in was rated for winds up to 130mph.
When they saw the storm started to track more eastbound, it was too late to
move them so they parked the SNJs and the helos in the hangar.
All would have been well..as best they can tell a tornado is what took the
hangar out.
Similiar hangars housing the Mustangs just 200 yards away were untouched and
also another T-6, B-25 and B-17 were on the ramp 200 yards away..NOT tied down
and came out without a scratch.

Just one of those fate things I guess. Who knew a tornado was going to touch
down on the hangar? The hurricane itself wasn't the problem.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*