Old July 14th 03, 10:57 PM
Michael

Big John wrote
Are you trying to tell me it's not easier to fly a PP NDB approach
than a PP ILS?

If she won't I will - and I've done both, for real, on the same night.
Flying the ILS was much easier.

I'd like to see you PP trying to use GPS to make an approach. It's
hard enough to keep the airplane flying PP without using the benefits
of GPS.

The last instrument student I taught could consistently fly a partial
panel GPS approach (with moving map) with the needle never leaving the
donut and with altitude control to +50/-0 ft without breaking a sweat.

I instructed for so many years in heavy iron I tend to push the
routines I developed to give maximum safety and yet perform the
mission.

Are you sure they're applicable outside heavy iron? I've never flown
any - all my flying and instructing has been singles and light twins
(with gliders thrown in for flavor) and I just can't see that a
partial panel GPS or ILS would be harder to fly than a partial panel
NDB. In fact, my proficiency approach for hoodwork is the night
partial-panel single-engine circling NDB, simply because that's the
most difficult. A single engine partial panel ILS to Cat II is cake
by comparison. Maybe ILS installations have improved...

Michael