Old June 12th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default battery self-destruct

The general rule for battery charging to get the most life out of them
is to charge at ten percent of rated capacity and trickle charge at one
percent. So for 35 AH battery the best charge rate would be 3.5 amps
and trickle charge at 350 milliamperes.
If the battery voltage is below 12 volts and you start the engine
and induce a high charge of say twenty amps it will cause cavitation
and result in oxide coming off the grid, piling up in the bottom of the
cells and shorting out the battery.
I do not leave the battery in my Cherokee for periods of time over
three weeks. I bring it home and place it on trickle charge.