Old March 26th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default The nail in the coffin: TIS and Mode-S

"scott moore" wrote in message
. ..
Mode-S/TIS transponders cost more, turns out, they cost
substantially more to certify for IFR as well. I'm beginning to come
around to the viewpoint of those here who say that any modernization
that comes from the FAA will usually be a costly waste of time. The
FAA is abandoning TIS slowly, and would have done it fast if we and
the AOPA hadn't complained about it.

Now I fully well expect ADS-B to be held hostage to the FAA's funding
scam:

FAA: Funding Tied To Modernization

The FAA must implement changes to the way it is funded before it can
afford to embrace the myriad technologies that are envisioned for the Next
Generation Air Transportation System, according to senior FAA staffers.
Appearing before the Senate aviation subcommittee, Charles Leader,
director of the Joint Planning and Development Office, told committee
members that the controversial system of user fees and tax increases now
under consideration by Congress for FAA reauthorization is a key element
of FAA modernization. "Modernization and moving to NextGen is inextricably
linked to changes in the FAA’s financing system," Leader said.

Get ahold of Robert Poole's article in the November issues of "Professional
Pilot" if you can(or leave me a note and I'll send you it in PDF form). He
goes into some detail about the issue from the standpoint of User Fee's in
just that manner.

Matt B.