Old September 12th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Default Bendix KT76C transponder requires major repair: Options?

wrote:
The 76C has an altitude display so you can see when this
happens. Bill Hale

Ross Richardson wrote:

Marco Leon wrote:

Ray Andraka wrote:

Could be the encoder warm-up. The transponder won't reply mode C until
the encoder warms up. Some of them take 10 minutes or more to come up
to temperature.

Now THAT's interesting. Does anyone know if there's a bench check for
the encoder itself? I'm surprised that the avionics shop didn't suggest
the encoder as being the culprit. Is it common?

Marco

I know it takes my encoder about 7 minutes to warm up. It is connected
to my GPS and I get "No Altitude" until it does. The transponder will
have its own "encoder" within it. It may also take awhile to warm. I
have the KT78. It would be nice if there was a little ready light.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

That's nice