Old January 18th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Corvair conversion engines

Let's say you have to replace the engine 4 times to get 2000 hours. You are
still saving money over the cost of a Lyc or Cont and there is no guarantee
they will make it to TBO either.

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

As my research continues, I have been investigating possible engines for a
601XL. The Corvair engines looked like a good candidate. The reports
seemed very good and the engine was surprisingly inexpensive for initial
purchase and long-term maintenance.

The stated expected TBO is 1500 hours and the Corvair Authority website
documents the use of a Corvair engine in a 601XL.

Everything seemed OK until yesterday when I read the most recent updates
on their website. Seems that the "untreated" automotive cranks have been
cracking in a very short time. Nitriding seems like the only solution.
But with standard cranks cracking at under 100 hours, what would be the
expected life of a nitrided crank. Twice as long, four times as long,
eight times as long? This would still fall short of the 1500 hour TBO
stated by the Corvair Authority.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Corvair conversion
engines? Any info on their realistic life and reliability?

TIA,

CV