Old September 20th 04, 03:49 AM
Kevin Brooks

"R. David Steele" steele.david@verizon(DOT)net/OMEGA wrote in message

| | Yet another political post that has virtually nothing to do with
| military aviation.
| |

| It is of a political nature. Do you really want the military
| taking a political position?
|
|Back up your bus, Gus. He said absolutely nothing about the *military*
|involving itself in politics here at home, so you can get off that horse
|right now.
|
|Given that the military is about
| 50% republican, 10% libertarian, and only 15% democrat (the other
| 25% are too young to have made up a political view but tend to be
| socially conservative), are you really wanting the military to
| have a larger role in politics?
|
|Really? And pray tell where did you get these "statistics"? From Dan
Rather,
|maybe?
|

| It has been wise to have a wall of separation between the
| military and politics (much like the separation of church and
| state).
|
|Read your Clauswitz, especially the bit about war being an extension of
|what...?
|
|Brooks

There are those who do not even want the military voting in that
they want such a firm wall of separation between the military and
the policy making.

Bullcrap. Point to anyone claiming the modern servicemember should not be
allowed to vote. Stop making this crap up.

However, the military has become very skewed to the right due to
the draw down.

Please, provide specific evidence that the "military has become skewed to
the right due to the drawdown". Have you ever been in the military? Those of
us who have recognize that we had a wide range of disparate political views
evidenced in the ranks--the basic tendency may have been towards the
conservative, but that has likely been the case since the volunteer military
came into being--not "due to the draw down".

As the military became smaller, mostly the
conservatives were left.

Balderdash. The drawdown has not been shown to have resulted in any change
in the political makeup of the services.

Given your knowledge base, I would
assume that you have a good handle on the make up of the current
military. It should be self evident, without an need of
statistical backup, that those who serve are very socially
conservative.

Nope. A lot of them are conservatives when it comes to foreign affairs and
fiscal matters, etc., but "socially conservative"? I attended an all-male
military college back in the eighties, where the majority of us leaned
conservative in many respects--but when Jerry Falwell's kids (i.e., those
from his pet "university") showed up to visit they got a rather chilly
reception. You'd be surprised at the number of military personnel who
support the right of an individual to choose abortion versus having the
government make that determination. Stop bandying about these claims of
yours that you think don't need any statistical backing--they do, since they
have little basis in actual fact.

Military service is even more distasteful those
who are rebellious as the military (since Desert Storm) has
become very intolerant (Navy the least so) of alcohol abuse and
other social disorders. Most of the liberals in society thus
find that military service is too confiding and requires too high
a level of self discipline for their tastes.

What?! You ever been to an O-Club located on a post situated in a dry
county? I have, and let me tell you, it was a swingin' place. You think the
military is now made up of a bunch of teetotalers?! The fact that the
military does not tolerate alcohol *abuse*, specifically as it regards
driving or work performance, is nothing new--at Ft Knox in the mid/late
eighties, a DUI for an officer yielded a guaranteed trip to the post CG's
office--that does not mean that either were "conservative". Liberals don't
like drunk drivers, either.

As for Clauswitz, that is at a very broad level far above what
the typical enlisted or officer would deal with. Or do you want
the military setting policy of your local school board?

LOL! You are getting further afield... This started as your attempt to take
a poster to task for remarking upon the election process and the fact that
the President is indeed the C-in-C, and you have continually tried to draw
it into some kind of weird military-as-threat-to-civil-rule or
military-is-synonymous-with-John-Birch-Society diatribe. Get a clue, and dig
up those statistics if you want your inane ravings to stick.

Brooks