Old December 19th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tauno Voipio

Default Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

Peter R. wrote:

--- clip clip --

Why is it that here in the Northeast US seemingly no one preheats their
automobile engine before start-up in very cold temperatures? Is the long-term
damage the same for both autos and aircraft engines? If so, why do you
suppose auto owners don't typically do this? Is it because that most auto
owners do not keep their cars very long?

Here in the north of Europe We'll pre-heat our cars if
possible, if the temperature goes below +5 C (whatever
it is in F, around 40?).

You can force an engine to start even at -30 C, but it
means that the poor thing runs some time practically
dry of lubrication.

--

Tauno Voipio (CPL(A), flying OH-PYM, PA28RT-201T)
tauno voipio at iki fi