Old March 12th 05, 06:44 PM
ThomasH

"Capt.Doug" wrote:

"n-e-w-s" wrote in message German police stop Delta pilot on alcohol
suspicion

I've taken the liberty of removing the cross-postings.

For those in the educated group which remains, I'd like to point out that
for the airline I'm employed at, since the start of 2004 until the present,
3.7% of our pilot group has been accused of reporting to work while
intoxicated. ALL of the accused have tested negative for alcohol use.

Most of the time, a screener who has no training in recognizing substance
abuse makes an accusation. The allegation must be acted upon. Then the news
teams show up. The accused must take 3 breathalyzers in a 30 minute period.
During the 30 minutes, the news team usually figures out that they don't
have a story and they leave. The screener is not reprimanded so that s/he
isn't intimidated from reporting someone in the future who may actually be
drunk. Neither does the screener receive substance abuse recognition
training which might prevent a false accusation in the future.

It's one of a myriad of headaches that airline professionals endure.

D.

Well, as you can see the majority prefers to participate in the rant.
Such pesky "boring real details" seem not to be of interest :-)

Thomas