Old July 31st 03, 05:41 AM
Francois Marquis

I believe you can still select waypoints while using the RMI. I'm
going flying tomorrow morning, so I'll double check and let you know.
You can use the RMI in RMI-only mode or in "normal" mapping mode with
the RMI needles superimposed on the moving map.

My RMI setup does not use the RMI adapter, since I only use the ADF as
an RMI input on the Argus.

It uses the same "Hardware inputs" as the input pins, unfortunately and
this is what causes this limitation. I believe that the 5000Ce, or the
7000Ce, have two dual connectors in the back plus a static pressure
input connector ?!?

I agree that interrogating a visible waypoint (or facility) is a
unique feature of the Argus and this is what makes it outstanding.

I don't know why Eventide doesn't license that technology. It would
be

great
to be able to select waypoints on a 430/530, an MX-20 or Avidyne
unit.

I agree. My GPS is a Garmin 155xl unit and it is A1 certified.

Using the 155xl with the Argus, though, provides a great level of
redundancy. For example, since the Argus has a dedicated map area where
you always have your "nav numbers" (e.g. GS, BRG, TK, ETA ...) I like to
fly the ROUTE page on the GPS, since it is after all the benefit of a
IFR GPS, and I like the nav counterpart of the GPS displayed on the
Argus map. This, I feel, gives you a better situational awareness. My
Argus is located next to the HSI...

Anyhow, redundancy is also important, IMO. When the sole "GPS,NAV,COM"
breaker pops out (or whatever the case might be) one gets suddently
blind if no redundancy is built-up in the total package.

The lesser side of the Argus is its inability to support airways, MOCA
and MEA outside of Continental US. And yes, I have the international
database :0|

Anyhow, I think that whoever have flown with it will agree that this is
a really good map because it is so well adapted for Instrument flying.
The "Departure, Enroute and Arrival sequence" structure is intuitive. I
like the quality of the unit, too. Low energy, robust and reliable.

This is why my only issue is the contrast of the 5000 in very bright
sunlight condition.

Francois Marquis
Lancair C-GLUE