Old January 9th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Thrusting or Sucking (where's Howard Stern when we need him.)

Here is a stab at a simple explanation -

The crux of the matter is that aircraft fly by the transfer of energy. Fluid
dynamics and physics provide us with a variety of tools to model how this happens.

A famous quote from IT applies - "All models are false, some models are useful"

Depending on the situation one or another model may be more useful and/or
accurate, but they remain models. We are generally concerned with low Reynolds
numbers and laminar flow over low lift+low drag wings. In this regime the
contribution of upper surface lift is apparently no less than 1/3 of the total,
and at low angle of attack it may be greater than 50%.

The net result of Bernoulli, Prantl et al is that a moving wing transmits
kinetic energy to the air. As long as the air flows around the wing in a
relatively orderly fashion, the reaction is lift (varying amounts of suck and
blow), if the flow becomes chaotic (stalled) we get primarily drag.(Very simple.)

Conversely - calculating how much will be created, and optimising efficiency
over a range of performance requires serious computational power and a head for
calculus. (very complex)

Nyal Williams wrote:
Newton explains it better than Bernoulli. The FAA
written for PSEL no longer requires the Bernoulli answer
about lift.

Go to Amazon.com or Bookfinder.com and look for a book
by Gale Craig, titled, 'Stop Abusing Bernoulli! - How
Airplanes Really Fly '. (Search under Craig, Gale.)
Gale is a physicist who enquired into this subject.
Used copies are listed there, but the book is self-published
and you can order fresh copies from him. He lives
in Anderson, Indiana. Anyone who is interested in
that address should write me and I will get it for
you.

At 17:00 09 January 2006, Marty wrote:

Stick the cambered side of a standard spoon under a
running tap! Ease
the cambered side of the spoon gradually into the running

SNIP

--
Bruce Greeff
Std Cirrus #57