Old May 16th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Tie Down Trouble

Dylan Smith wrote
I have to imagine the flight characteristics of a Sundowner with 50lbs
of concrete hanging off the tail had to be 'squirrely'!

The one Sundowner in which I instructed two students was actually out
of the forward CG limit with just myself and the student aboard.

I insisted that we keep 40-50 lbs tied down in the baggage compartment,
it made landings so much better. It wasn't long after the owner and
his brother obtained their certificates that the weight came out and
the nosegear and prop came off.

That tiedown weight probably made it fly just about right. :-)

Bob Moore