Old March 10th 04, 10:20 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
(Finbar) wrote:

What's striking to me is that this method (and another method, the
Muller method) assume that until the spin stops the stick should be
held BACK. What I've seen before was
opposite-rudder-then-stick-forward, but this method clearly calls for
opposite-rudder-with-stick-back.

Apparently you don't need to be able to apply opposite rudder and down
elevator: full opposite rudder, and whatever stick back you can get
seems to be what they recommend. (Presumably the stick is eased
forward during the diving exit from the spin to limit g in the
pullout.)

I'd love to hear comments on this from more practiced spin-ers!

Maybe it's me, but I think someone has misunderstood something here. Are
you sure the method is not referring to inverted spins only?

I have spun almost every aircraft I have flown, glider or powered. I
haven't tried too many recoveries with the stick back. All the 1-26's I
have flown would respond to opposite rudder even with the stick full
back. However, unless the stick is moved forward soon after rotation
stops, you might find yourself immediately in a spin again.

Both my 301 Libelles required some stick forward to regain rudder
effectiveness.