Old March 18th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landing on one wheel

On Mar 18, 8:04 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote: This is fun stiring the pot! OK ...how many of you practice doing a
one wheel touch and go from time to time. And I don't mean by
accident.
I did it all the time with tailwheel students, and still do it with
students in 172's. We frequently get winds that are 15 G25 90 to the
runway and topography that makes the winds squirrly as hell on the
west end. Learning good crosswind techniques are vital.
I recognize different techniques are needed for different aircraft
with wing clearance, etc but I still did them with lots of different
low wing aircraft like Piper Pawnee, Cessna Ag Husky, Ag Cat,
Stearman, Thrush and so on.
Ol S&B

We had occasion one time to loan Miss America to Bob Hoover to use for
his demonstration. His P51 had been damaged in a forced landing the day
before. The only stipulation we placed on his use of the airplane was
that he not do any one wheel landings. It was strongly felt by all of us
that these "landings" if not directly, at least have a strong potential
to place undue stress on the main gear leg and attach points where the
wheel meets the axle.
True, this was our personal choice, but I would still feel this way today.
I've never actually asked Bob to clarify the issue by disclosing if he
ever had maintanence done on the main gear oleos on his 51, so to be
fair, it was then and is as I write this an open issue and simply a
matter of opinion.

--
Dudley Henriques

Pretty hard to damage the gear on a Citabria doing that.
They're stout, to withstand the abuses of the novice. I've done the
one-wheel thing with students in the past, students who are having
trouble transitioning to the taildragger. The one-wheel touch-and-go
teaches them to fly the airplane ALL the time, not just until
touchdown like they tend to do in a trike. It also develops strong
crosswind skills. After that, they're careful in trikes, too, since
now they know that the airplane really isn't finished flying until
it's tied down. Every so often you hear of another 172 or something
that came to grief after the pilot made a successful touchdown, only
to lose it in the rollout.

Dan