Old December 5th 04, 06:08 AM
Slip'er

any new ones being created that slow the obvious depletion rate?

Well, we are trying to keep Oceanside Muni open for business. The city
wanted to shut us down there for a while until we convinced them that it
would be a violation of the FAA grants to do so. Unfortunately, they
settled a law suit with some anti-airport folks that included $10,000 of the
airports money, NO flight schools on the ground, NO instruction at all, NO
touch and goes, and NO taxi back and take-off practice. (Funny, the
non-aviation attorneys failed to mention stop-and-goes.) KOKB was built a
long time ago and the tie-downs are all inside the required clear zone! As
a result, the city has stopped renting tie-downs from the two closest rows.
Eventually, when they restripe the legal taxiway, I believe that they will
lose the last row of existing tie downs.

Anyway, we got the council to move ahead with building 21 new hangers
(actually replacing ones lost years ago due to 76 expansion.) Then they
took too long and we can only afford 10 of the 21! Well, hopefully, we will
have all 21 by the end of 2005.

Phase II, if we are successful will replace the old terminal building with a
new one which will also include a restaurant!! Which is a long winded way
of saying that we may have a new airport with an FBO restaurant to fly to!

Actually, if you live in SoCal, you should consider stopping in at KOKB
anyway. There is a bike/walking trail along the San Luis Rey River. You
can walk this two mile trail and end up at Oceanside Harbor with plenty of
nice restaurants and the beach...come spend the day with us. [But please
follow our noise abatement policy to be kind to our many neighbors]

I am VP of the Oceanside Airport Association. One of my goals is to
eventually raise about $3,000 in donations for the bike trail. I'd like to
get a few bike lockers and bicycles that pilots flying-in can use for free.
I think that this would be a great way to exploit our proximity to the
beach.

Cheers,
Carl