Old May 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default NJ Abandoned airport? Can you ID?

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, John said:

Can anyone identify this one? I'm not sure it was an airport but it
sure looks like it had two or maybe even three runways.
Location is near Pittsgrove and Newfield in Southern New Jersey. It is
between Willow Grove Lake and state highway 55.

It's in the middle of this image:
http://tinyurl.com/qcdx7 [google maps]
39.55 N 75.06 W

According to a user waypoint in Google Earth, it's "Rudy's Airport".

Googling suggests it might have had an id of 25N when it was open.

Yes, that looks like the one. I found a Washington Sectional (1995) in
my collection of old charts and there it is. Apparently it must have
closed fairly recently. That would explain why it isn't on the
abandoned airport web site too. It had a site at AirNav.com but it is
gone now, although still cached by Google.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/25N

One poor pilot decided to land there in July 2005 and found it was
closed the hard way. [NTSB IAD05LA088] [direct link below]

That's too bad it is gone, it looks like it was a neat grass field, with
even an instrument approach and lights. Sold fuel too.

I saw it easily from the air while in a holding airliner. That makes
me think about collision avoidance. During the hold, there were a LOT
of other airliners also holding in close proximity at various fairly low
altitudes (probably between 4000-10000 ft.) Much of the area is within
the 30 nm PHL transponder veil, but some is not. So heads up if you're
flying over south jersey VFR! There might be a LOT of heavy aluminum
zinging around stacked up close nearby and they may not see you in all
of their turns and you may not see them.

link:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...LA088& akey=1