Old May 15th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default NJ Abandoned airport? Can you ID?

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:37:42 +0000, B A R R Y wrote:

Rumor has it that people STILL accidentally land at P&W's East Hartford,
CT site, thinking it's HFD.

A number of years ago, my CFII had me to an approach there to see if I'd
pick the wrong airport. I vaguely recall the approach leaving me pointed
at Rentschler, but none of the IAPs at KHFD appear to do that.
Perhaps I'm thinking of one of the other 'tricks' my CFII tried.

I like to do have students fly the 12N (Andover, NJ) VOR-A
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0604/05026VA.PDF). 3N5 (Newton, NJ) is
about the same size, only about 2 miles away, and the runway is better
lined up with the FAC than Andover's is. I wait until I can see
Newton, then say, "OK, you can look up now". It's amazing how often
they spot the wrong runway and head over to it, ignoring the
indication on the instruments. To be fair, I'm not sure I would do
any better if I wasn't familiar with the area.

The best trick my CFII ever pulled on me was telling me he was going
to vector me to a runway. When he said, "OK, you can look up and land
now", I was looking at what appeared to be a brightly lit runway (it
was night). The only problem is, it was a ski slope, not a runway :-)