Old September 26th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default another radial question

On 26 Sep, 01:30, Tater wrote:
On Sep 22, 6:57 pm, Tater wrote:

after looking at all the planes in the oshkosh museum, I saw a few
radials where the crank was stationary, and the rest of the engine
moved with the prop.

which brought me to this question. why did they use radials? some of
the first planes used inline engines, nut for some reason radials came
into play.

hey, thanks for all the replies, but it brings up one more
question.....

why don't we use radials now?

For lower power engines the air cooled flat 4/6 has
turned out to be the winner. higher power
requirements are best met with a gas turbine.

I think that the smallest turbines in widespread use
are about 400hp.

Smaller ones do exist:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVxeZYdVRLM

http://www.jet-man.com/actuel_eng.html