Old September 1st 03, 02:09 AM
Bob Gardner

Can't agree with your assertion that anyone who does it in real life can
handle an FTD. When I had my AST-300 business, across the street from the
FSDO and on a field with several 135 operators and corporate operators whose
pilots came to me to stay sharp, they all (FAA and civilians) had problems
of one kind or another in adjusting to the sim...but they caught on in a
hurry and did better in general than the general run of customers. No one
ever complained that I was taking money under false pretenses, and they kept
coming back......

Bob Gardner

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"Bob Gardner" wrote
A Flight Training Device, such as the one you had demonstrated to you,

is
harder to fly than the actual airplane when it is working perfectly. The
airplane is a pretty forgiving thing, short term...you can let go of the
controls and it will maintain trimmed pitch and bank for awhile. The

FTD, on
the other hand, forces you to scan properly and stay on top of the
situation. This is a good thing.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. That's what all incompetent/lazy
software developers say - and they say it because sometimes people
believe it.

The sign of a good simulation of real life is this - someone who can
do it in real life does well in the simulation almost immediately,
while someone with no experience has a learning curve. In my
experience, FAA-certified FTD's generally offer terrible simulations.
That's not to say they have no training value, but the training value
would be a lot higher if the sim behaved like the real aircraft. Yes,
if you turn up the turbulence it's harder to fly - but not in a
realistic way that prepares you to handle the actual aircraft in the
clouds.

I recommend giving the junk software written to government standards a
miss. Instead, buy any decent flight sim (even MS). No, the time
isn't loggable - but the flight model is much better, there is much
greater flexibility in panel customization, and there are a lot fewer
bugs (even in the MS product).

Having said that, I think you got a lousy demonstration...don't know

whether
to blame the box or the instructor.

I'm sure both meet FAA minimum standards.

Michael