Old January 10th 09, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME

Default Departure Question

In article ,
says...

On 01/10/09 02:02, VOR-DME wrote:
In article ,
says...

When you file your IFR flight plan, you should state that you intend
to fly the ODP (by placing it in the plan, as in ODP.Transition, Fix,
Fix, ... Destination).

When you get your clearance, you will be told what to do once you
enter controlled airspace.

Note that I haven't looked at the specific ODP you plan to use, so
if you think I'm missing something, please let me know.

Just that it doesn't have a name.
It's not "RIVER ONE, BREZY TRANSITION"
It is a published ODP, but has no name. . .

Oh, right. In that case, just put in the notes that "ODP will be used".
Basically, if the IFR clearance doesn't include instructions for departing
the airport, you're on your own. If you can't get to the initial fix/vector
visually, then it's in your best interest to use the published ODP - but
really, how you get to the initial segment of your clearance is up to you
(assuming departing from a non-towered field into uncontrolled airspace).

If the IFR clearance precludes something you wanted to do (double back to
the VOR), then you need to ask them once you make contact.

Does that answer the question, or am I still missing something?

No, pretty clear.
DORIS intersection, the most direct point for a NE bound entry to the system
is 3800ft (3000AAL) at 10 nm, so almost any equipment "should" be able to
make that, but in the case of mountain obscuration you might want to follow
the ODP (I would) which holds and climbs at the CAM VORTAC NW of the airport,
the same as the RWY 13 approach uses. So, ATC might want to know if you're
backtracking there, to sequence arrivals (in the extremely unlikely event
that anyone actually wants to go to Bennington, VT). Part 135 operations
"must" use it (unless they're VFR) - does ATC just assume this? If I plan to
use it, I'd be tempted to put ODP-CAM-VORTAC or something similar in the
flight plan. How does that sound?

The other complication is that the GCO goes to Burlington FSS, while the
actual trafic is monitored by Albany approach, so it matters that everyone be
onn the same "wavelength", if you'll permit my abuse of language. . .

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers