Old May 27th 04, 05:10 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Barry" wrote in message

I don't see much difference from the current PTS - in fact it looks like

the
new PTS actually requires fewer tasks for an IPC. The current PTS already
requires a circling approach on an IPC, which seemed to be your biggest
objection to the new PTS.

Do you have an online link to the current PTS?

As best I can tell it has been removed from the FAA website.

The newest PTS just released in April 2004 is numbered FAA-S-8081-4D

The prior one which I can locate was released in October 1998 and is
numbered FAA-S-8081-4C -- this seems to be the one immediately prior to the
April 2004 PTS by the FAA numbering system (i.e. 4D vs. 4C) and it is also
the newest version which was published with an ISBN number and available on
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

This October 1998 PTS outlines a Circling Approach on page 1-15 but does not
list a "PC" to indicate that it is required on an instrument proficiency
check.

Was there a newer version of the IFR PTS which was issued in between with a
number betweeen 8081-4C and 8081-4D and which requires a circling approach?
If so, then I stand corrected in that regard but then I ask the question
regarding how in August 2003 my Level 3 FTD was granted authorization for an
instrument proficiency check and I ask the question regarding how the very
recently approved Advanced ATD devices have been approved for conducting an
instrument proficiency check.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com