Old April 4th 04, 08:06 PM
Peter Kemp

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 14:16:54 -0400, "Brian"
wrote:

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
news

"Brian" wrote in message
news

"Russell Waterson" wrote in message
u...
I will always maintain that I think us Aussies would be better off

with
Typhoons

Why not buy F-16's instead? The Typhoon doesn't offer much more that

what
modern F-16 does...If the Aussies were smart, they dump the JSF and buy
Gripens.

Why? I believe if you compare the combat radius of the JAS-39 to that of

the
F-35A, or especially that of the F-35C, you will find that the F-35 has a
substantially greater range, something that the Aussies would in

particular
find useful. Plus, by the time the RAAF is ready to purchase new aircraft
(still a few years away), the Gripen will no longer be able to be called a
"new" aircraft, having been in service since 1996 with the Swedes;

methinks
the RAAF would like to have the latest cutting edge technology, since they
will likely be flying it for a looong time to come. Pricewise the two

sound
like they will be competitive. So you think they should buy a
shorter-legged, older aircraft, at about the same price? I don't think so.

My point was if you are going to ditcht he F-35, then the Typhoon is not a
wise choice. The Gripen is available today, is much cheaper, and just a
better airplane. I don't see where a Typhoon would be much better than a
Gripen.

IIRC the Aussies, like the Canadians prefer two engines minimum due to
the distances involved. That rules out the F-16, the F-35, and the
Gripen.

Considering the likely local opposition to the RAAF, high grade
stealth is unlikely to be necessary for a hell of long time.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster